Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Sports medicine vs Mother nature Reply with quote

Sports medicine, not exactly sure what this stands for?

Is it to help cure only sports related injuries?

Is sports medicine a type of preventative approach to being athletic also?

Mother nature, is always there, a type of onboard healthcare system built in to us; surely sports medicine also needs her also?

Where does sports medicine start and end or is it an overlapping subject that has no borders?

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sports medicine vs Mother nature Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:

Mother nature, is always there, a type of onboard healthcare system built in to us; surely sports medicine also needs her also?

Where does sports medicine start and end or is it an overlapping subject that has no borders?

My understanding is that sports medicine is both preventative and restorative.
Basically they teach you how to move, the stretch based on the activity, anaerobic vs. aerobic training for said activity to prevent injuries and the same to strengthen and get you back to your activities after you injure yourself.
But since this was not a big thing when I was a kid, I'm just going off what I have heard from others.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:

My understanding is that sports medicine is both preventative and restorative.
Basically they teach you how to move, the stretch based on the activity, anaerobic vs. aerobic training for said activity to prevent injuries and the same to strengthen and get you back to your activities after you injure yourself.
But since this was not a big thing when I was a kid, I'm just going off what I have heard from others.
Sports medicine wasn't heard of for me neither as a kid.

As athletes can become very wealthy these days, they certainly do need knowledgeable people to keep and put them back on track.

As the strain on the human body at a world class level of competition must be maxed out, their careers will be shorter but more intense.

Sports medicine must be a science similar to formula racing in this day and age; by getting the most out of the least.

Genetic engineering of humans, will eventually become a part of sports medicine, just like it has been for a long time with selective horse breeding practices.

I see this already happening in Hollywood when famous actors and actresses tie the knot; they are known as power couples and their offspring's become the stars of tomorrow by default.

With athletes having such a great advantage from the sports world doctors and therapist, is there any chance that the martial artists of today can tap in to this vast amout of knowledge, apart from the bits and bobs found on YouTube?

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's just like anything, the more knowledge we have the better we can be. That's why athletes today are much faster and stronger than their counterparts from 50 years ago.

Sports medicine concerns things like injury prevention through strength & conditioning and optimal training methods, and then also injury treatment and rehabilitation.

It's all about marginal gains and learning ways to prevent injuries from happening and how recover from them better and faster.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Great Explanations from the both of you, DWx and MatsuShinsii!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sports Medicine specializes in the prevention, recognition, and treatment of athletic related illnesses and injuries.

I'm a certified athletic trainer. I view my job (when I'm working as an ATC) as a cross between EMT, physical therapist, and strength & conditioning coach. Those professions have more in depth knowledge of their respective field, and I have more in depth knowledge of mine.

When you watch a sporting event on tv and see someone get hurt, I'm one of the guys that runs out and takes care of him/her. I'll assess the injury and will help them off the field when appropriate or get a paramedic when appropriate. I'm also at practices doing the same thing.

If the athlete needs to see the orthopedist, I'll set that up. I'll do the rehab of the injury regardless of if they need a physician consult or not. If they do, I'll carry out their protocol.

I also take care of illnesses that impact athletic performance. Stuff like diabetes, heat illnesses, asthma, etc. And managing head injuries.

I work alongside strength and conditioning coaches to ensure their programs are appropriate, and I'll hand off an athlete to them for longer term strengthening of an injury when the time is right.

Sports medicine for physicians is a specialty rather than it's own field (for the most part). There are orthopedic surgeons who specialize in geriatric injuries, cancer and infection related orthopedic issues, etc. There are also cardiologists, neurologists, etc. who specialize in sports medicine. Pretty much all sports medicine doctors treat non-athletic populations as well, but the sports medicine physicians know the demands of sports, the associated injuries and illnesses, and are usually better at treating them appropriately rather than just saying "take 6-8 weeks off and see me before you go back to playing." They're far better at coming up with a return to play protocol.

If an orthopedic surgeon only took care of athletes, they'd be out of business in most areas and under most circumstances.

Athletes have different demands (for lack of a better word) than the general population. People in sports medicine will balance treatment and athletic participation.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Sports Medicine specializes in the prevention, recognition, and treatment of athletic related illnesses and injuries.

I'm a certified athletic trainer. I view my job (when I'm working as an ATC) as a cross between EMT, physical therapist, and strength & conditioning coach. Those professions have more in depth knowledge of their respective field, and I have more in depth knowledge of mine.

When you watch a sporting event on tv and see someone get hurt, I'm one of the guys that runs out and takes care of him/her. I'll assess the injury and will help them off the field when appropriate or get a paramedic when appropriate. I'm also at practices doing the same thing.

If the athlete needs to see the orthopedist, I'll set that up. I'll do the rehab of the injury regardless of if they need a physician consult or not. If they do, I'll carry out their protocol.

I also take care of illnesses that impact athletic performance. Stuff like diabetes, heat illnesses, asthma, etc. And managing head injuries.

I work alongside strength and conditioning coaches to ensure their programs are appropriate, and I'll hand off an athlete to them for longer term strengthening of an injury when the time is right.

Sports medicine for physicians is a specialty rather than it's own field (for the most part). There are orthopedic surgeons who specialize in geriatric injuries, cancer and infection related orthopedic issues, etc. There are also cardiologists, neurologists, etc. who specialize in sports medicine. Pretty much all sports medicine doctors treat non-athletic populations as well, but the sports medicine physicians know the demands of sports, the associated injuries and illnesses, and are usually better at treating them appropriately rather than just saying "take 6-8 weeks off and see me before you go back to playing." They're far better at coming up with a return to play protocol.

If an orthopedic surgeon only took care of athletes, they'd be out of business in most areas and under most circumstances.

Athletes have different demands (for lack of a better word) than the general population. People in sports medicine will balance treatment and athletic participation.
Thanks JR 137.
For the most, sports medicine is a grey area.

The way I understand it, is that, as the general population will decrease in sports activities, the larger problem will not be from active people becoming injured but from those that are none active, developing diseases due to inactivity and poor eating habits.

With this is mind, perhaps sports medicine is a more important subject than just helping the injured and preventing the overachievers from damaging themselves.

Sports medicine could very well be the answer/cure, to helping people lead a more happier, healthier active life.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
JR 137 wrote:

Thanks JR 137.

The way I understand it, is that, as the general population will decrease in sports activities, the larger problem will not be from active people becoming injured but from those that are none active, developing diseases due to inactivity and poor eating habits.

With this is mind, perhaps sports medicine is a more important subject than just helping the injured and preventing the overachievers from damaging themselves.

Sports medicine could very well be the answer/cure, to helping people lead a more happier, healthier active life.

I'd say wellness advocates rather than sports medicine to get people up, moving, and eating better.

I earned a masters in physical education about 10 years ago now. We were discussing the state of physical activity and wellness today be previous generations and eras. It was a very eye opening topic...

There's not much of a happy medium anymore. Some kids are pushed too hard to be involved in everything or are playing the same sport year round and parents are chasing some elusive full athletic scholarship.

Most others are allowed to sit around all day and stare at a computer or tv screen, eating and drinking everything and anything they want.

Physical education in schools has always served the same purpose from the dawn of time until quite recently (the last 20 or so years) - to physically prepare students for military service. Today's focus in physical education to get get them interested in anything physical. Introduce them to a variety of activities and teach them very basic skills in them so that they have a little confidence in their ability so they'll hopefully pursue something after they graduate and aren't forced against their will to be active for 30 minutes 3x a week. High school physical education tries to (or at least is supposed to try to) focus on the lifelong physical activities like yoga, golf, etc., or as a former student put it "old people stuff." I tried to focus on stuff like that and rec league stuff for high school seniors, and would make it a point to give them assignments where they had look up different activities and present where they could find them, how often they met, costs, etc. When I graduated, that would've been a waste of time because we already knew; today it's a waste of time because 99% of them don't care and are just doing it out of obligation.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
JR 137 wrote:

Thanks JR 137.

I'd say wellness advocates rather than sports medicine to get people up, moving, and eating better.

I earned a masters in physical education about 10 years ago now. We were discussing the state of physical activity and wellness today be previous generations and eras. It was a very eye opening topic...

There's not much of a happy medium anymore. Some kids are pushed too hard to be involved in everything or are playing the same sport year round and parents are chasing some elusive full athletic scholarship.

Most others are allowed to sit around all day and stare at a computer or tv screen, eating and drinking everything and anything they want.

Physical education in schools has always served the same purpose from the dawn of time until quite recently (the last 20 or so years) - to physically prepare students for military service. Today's focus in physical education to get get them interested in anything physical. Introduce them to a variety of activities and teach them very basic skills in them so that they have a little confidence in their ability so they'll hopefully pursue something after they graduate and aren't forced against their will to be active for 30 minutes 3x a week. High school physical education tries to (or at least is supposed to try to) focus on the lifelong physical activities like yoga, golf, etc., or as a former student put it "old people stuff." I tried to focus on stuff like that and rec league stuff for high school seniors, and would make it a point to give them assignments where they had look up different activities and present where they could find them, how often they met, costs, etc. When I graduated, that would've been a waste of time because we already knew; today it's a waste of time because 99% of them don't care and are just doing it out of obligation.
More great points to ponder. I like the military analogy used here JR 137

Just moments ago finished watching the movie
"An Officer and a Gentleman" Starring Richard Gere. The basic training in the movie and the (karate) martial art scenes were interesting.

Running the gauntlet in the assault course looked like fun. In army cadets as a young teen, we had access to the army's.

As a pre teen I was also in the Navy and Air cadets they had different activities that involved canoes and parachutes.

So I can relate to the priming kids for war. But for me, I broke away from the military option as a career due to having too much of it, at a young age.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sports medicine is about keeping athletes on the field or getting them back out onto the field.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: