Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bobby
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi does any one have any ideas on stance principles? I have heard a few, any one got any?

where the weight is?
posture?
ect.......

[ This Message was edited by: Bobby on 2002-05-28 09:41 ]

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bobby,

Welcome aboard! Do drop by the Introduction Forum so that everyone else can properly welcome you aboard. Thanks!

In regards to your question, do you mean the weight distribution in say the horse stance, front stance, cat stance, back stance

If so then you are looking at 50/50 weight distribution in the horse stance, 60/40 in the front stance, 90/10 in the cat stance, and 60/40 in a back stance.

As far as posture goes, you gotta keep your back straight/erect at all times. This will allow you to maintain your center so as to keep you balanced.

I hope this answers your question.

Bobby
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, thanks for the welcome

So in front stance is your weight is in your front thigh? - so you can push from it to kick?

in cat stance do you hollow the chest and sink in the thigh?

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, your weight will be on which ever leg is forward. Depending if you kick with the front or rear leg will determine the push. If you kick with the rear leg then yes you will be pushing off the front leg and vice versa. Also the push will be generated by your hips moving forward with the kick.

In the cat stance you refer to hollowing out the chest, or concave right? If that is done then your back becomes bowed. You have to keep your back straight. Turning in your front foot on the cat stance will naturally turn your thigh in to protect your groin area.

Bobby
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, hollowing the chest as in softening the chest. Getting rid of all the tension. Many instructors tell you "keep your stomach tense" when I ask why they say "just do it" eventually i got an answer which was in case you get hit! (but you aint meant to get hit! are you?) - also if you soften your chest your weight sinks down into you legs.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly is "cat stance"?

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

360RH,

Cat Stance or in Japanese Neko-ashi-dachi is where all or most or your weight is on your rear leg, leaving the front leg practically weightless.

Bobby
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have any of you looked at the kata one 1 posted?

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that in any stance the weight distribution is related to the center or tan tien (think between slightly below belly button). If the center is between the legs the weight is distributed between the legs. The closer the center is to one leg the more weight that leg bears. Make any sense?

Three60 cat stance mimics the way a cat moves. The weight is on the back leg with the knee bent sinking into the stance and the front leg is also bent slightly out in fron with the ball of the foot on the ground. Kind of like the way a cat will reach out with a paw to test an area it is getting ready to walk on. Like if you have just mopped the floor and the cat wants to know if the floor is still wet.

Some are very effective sparring in cat stance. It looks to their opponent like they are retreating so they move in - then wham.

Bobby
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Some are very effective sparring in cat stance. It looks to their opponent like they are retreating so they move in - then wham.

can it also hide a kick, many people lean back when thay kick or give away there next movement by shifting their weight. Where as if you weight is already on the correct leg you can kick with out giving it away. Would you agree?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: