Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

mushybees
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to discourage you but the bulk of the principles which set wado apart are found in it's paired kata.
Wado ryu without kihon gumite and kumite gata may as well be any other fighting style.

It's certainly possible to work on the kihon and kata but without a sensei to help you explore and understand them you won't even scratch the surface of what wado has to offer. Imo you could probably get your kihon and kata to the standard of a blue belt if you trained alone.

A terrible waste of obvious enthusiasm.

non_descript
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily I am not easily discouraged

Obviously I let the wrong impression about my idea about training. I do not intend to train all by myself all the time. I do mean to go to seminars as much as possible but where I live especially Wado is not popular at all and mainly karate is trained as sport and only for competition. I figured that it is better slow progress than no progress at all. As I see things my options are: train alone, train for competitions or don't train at all. I chose the first one completely understanding the limitations. I am not complete beginner. But still I was wandering if someone else had been in same/similar situation and what other people would do if they hypothetically need to train alone.

mushybees
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No other martial arts available in your area?

non_descript
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are (Tai Chi, Boxing/kickboxing, Taekwondo, probably MMA, too) but they don't seem to be "my thing". I don't know how to describe it otherwise.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

non_descript wrote:
There are (Tai Chi, Boxing/kickboxing, Taekwondo, probably MMA, too) but they don't seem to be "my thing". I don't know how to describe it otherwise.

Is the tai chi class combat oriented or is it more meditation and health oriented?

If it's combat oriented, you'll get an awesome workout from there, and their style is not entirely dissimilar to wado. I left wado in favour of kung fu (tai chi based) years ago. I found the transition very easy and I also found that each style exposed strengths and weaknesses of each other. I found both styles to be very practical. Some tai chi schools start with massive great over exaggerated moves. That is only a teaching tool to get you used to the circular moves to generate more power while protecting your own joints. There was nothing flowery or showy in ours. It was just brutal dirty practical combat. Much like wado in many ways.

non_descript
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if it is more combat or health orientated I will look into it. You have showed me interesting perspective.

mushybees
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it isn't combat orientated if you can develop a connected body and learn to utilise your tanden in movement it'll improve your wado significantly.

Tai chi is definitely beneficial. Personally it would be preferable to just practising wado alone

Chunmonchek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
If you train by yourself, how will you correct your mistakes?? How will you know that you made a mistake?? How do you gain, even just the smallest fraction of improvement and recognizing it before it becomes a bad habit??

Without a qualified watchful eye over you, the trails and tribulations of going about MA training might have more than it's share of potholes on your MA journey.

It can be done, going about it on your own, but extremely difficult to receive the necessary quality and effectiveness.

Train hard, train well!!

Agreed!

I'm a firm believer that to improve in the martial arts, you need to be pressure tested in some way. For us, two-man training is a must. Two-man with a skilled and temperate Senior is even better.

Byzantine
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, Judo, Aikijutsu, JJJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Train kihon and kata
But you cannot train proper application of techniques without a live resisting opponent

non_descript
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the responses. I am well aware that I cannot progress much only by myself. I will look for training partner and will try to extend my training with going to seminars and training sessions where I can but still the majority of my training will be alone. This is why I was asking for advises. I think that a different point of view is always helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: