Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

iolair
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kickboxing, Ju Jitsu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: Starting a school Martial Arts club Reply with quote

I'm a secondary school teacher (teaching 11-18 year olds) in England, and considering starting up a school martial arts club in the school where I teach (it would probably be something like a kickboxing/Jiu-jitsu type mix I'd teach - I have 16 years Martial Arts experience across several styles). This would take place one evening a week right after the school day finishes.

Can anyone give me ideas of the kind of issues I need to think about?

I'm not currently formally part of any martial arts club/style, so I'm not sure what I should do about formally rewarding achievement or awarding grades. I know I could just award "my own" grades/belts to them, but do you think it would be a major problem that these belts wouldn't mean anything if they went to another club? Of course some type of recognition for achievement is really important for motivation!

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a HS teacher as well and teach lessons out of a HS gym.

However it is not tied to the school in any form. Honestly I would not try to mix the 2 because of problems you run into with people getting hurt and going after the school or Board of EDU.

I don't know what the system is like in England but in the USA many people will try and sew for and over anything. Thus I only take people I trust. I teach private lessons. To do so I spoke with the principal at the school and had a statement drawn up by a laywer and everone who takes class signs it. Basically play at your own risk and if anything was to happen the school was not at fault.

At the HS I teach at I teach a Health class and this CH we are on personal health. I have been doing some life time sports with them like tennis, volleyball, etc. The other day I did Karate showed them some stretches, blocks and one kick. At lunch I saw them showing other students. I did not like that. So be careful. Teaching in a school is one thing but I would not tie my class to students in the school.

hongkongfooi
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: shukokai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: shukokai Reply with quote

make sure u get them to take out insurance join an organisation like ukasko
http://www.ukasko.com/
they can advise u on gradings as well
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: