Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KungSuDooKidd
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kung Su Do karate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Starting Over! Reply with quote

So im taking some great advice and starting over in a different school! What style would fit a senior in high school who loves to point spar and was regional champ on his high school wrestling team! Any opinions are great. thanks

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, it's great that you're a regional wrestling champ, but it does not help you at all when it comes to hitting people other than the fact that you're in great shape and you're athletic. Hitting people is an entirely different skill set.

First off, what are your goals?

Second, how hard do you want to hit people?

If you want to hit people hard a lot:
Muay Thai
Boxing
Kyokushin Karate, and its offshoots

Those are just the most consistent. There are a large number of World Taekwondo Federation schools that focus on hard contact in preparation for Olympic style competition. You get kicked and kick extremely hard.

There also exist a large number of Karate schools (not Kyokushin) that train with hard contact, but they are not as consistent as Kyokushin. Example: I did Isshinryu Karate under an instructor that used hard contact and knockdown rules. I went to an Isshinryu Karate dojo once that was non-contact. That's a very wide gulf.

If you want to point spar (and THAT is your entire goal), then you can go to just about any Karate dojo, Taekwondo dojang, or Chinese chuanfa training hall and inquire about what they do. There are bound to be ones that are big into the tournament circuit. You'll run into others who don't want to do tournaments. Just pick one that does a lot of tournaments, and you're likely to be happy. Shop around, check out different schools, and you'll find one that fits.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also consider mma if I were you, since you have good grapling base.
Add a litle striking techniques and you are good to go(more or less)

Soheir
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushin karate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't really matter what you can do, but what you want to train. Perhaps, you should first decide if you want to train grappling, stand up fighting or both in the same. As I have the picture that not in many styles that do point sparring, grappling's involved. I might be wrong. And of course do you want self defence techniques to be part of your training. Although I got the perception from your message that you're mainly looking for on an competing concentrated style.
“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're already getting some great advice here. Best of luck with the new school and keep us posted. Would love following your progress. A standup style is indeed another ball game, but it doesn't mean you won't like it or even ace it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: