Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

trustkid1
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan, TKD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I move from TX to SC the new dojo did stuff diffently that the old dojo. They like to do more embu and Kata applications than in my old dojo in TX.I try my best but sometimes I think that I'm not getting anywhere, plus my new sensei told me that is going to take me 5 years to test to 2nd Dan. And to make the matters worst is the only Shotokan dojo in the area.Well I guess I have to keep trying.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article, Laurie! It seems like that rank can be the cause of a downfall for some stylists. I think that is one thing that practitioners of styles like wrestling, boxing, and Muay Thai have as an advantage over the more "traditional" stylists. They don't have to 'worry' about what rank they are, or when their next testing is. Their skills in the ring speak for themselves, and lets them know what they need to work on, and what they are comfortable with. I guess ignorance is bliss.

Sensei Tom O'Brien
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Vee-Jitsu, Shotokan, Arnis, Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Ranking Reply with quote

We all have setbacks in ranking. My set back was after Prof. Vee, my Sensei Jim Powers & Prof. Remy Presas all died. I felt like an orphan. I have been a 4th deg. black belt for almost 30 yrs. now. I never wanted rank. I felt that rank is really what’s inside you. Recently I acquired a 2nd deg. & I realize that I need the rank. In Vee-Jitsu you can promote to 2 levels below yourself. So I reached out to Prof. Rick Ricardi. Prof. Rick is 10th dan, head of Niseido Ju-Jitsu. He & Prof. Powers were senior most students of Prof. Vee. He told me that he had a new system & it was totally different. I reached out to Hanshi Wilfredo Roldan & we reminisced about when we fought each other 25 yrs. ago but Fredo is head of Nisei Goju which is a totally different system. I thought I was left out in the cold. Recently Prof. Rick & I resumed communications though & hopefully something will come of it. You got to hang in.
Thanks,
Sensei Tom

Shito-ryu Karateka
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Previously Wado-ryu, now Shito-ryu (Kofukan)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think that rank means a thing. I was previously a 2nd dan in Wado-ryu with 10 years behind me when I took a ten year break due to work and family comitments. Having started out with a new club (I moved home) and a new style (Shito-ryu) I was more than happy to start at the begining even though my Sensei said I should keep my rank. I truth I have probably learned more having started back from scratch - Your basics, kion and basic kata are the building blocks of all your Karate and I have gained alot from going back to basics.

If rank is an issue then you really should look inside yourself and ask why.

2nd Dan Wado-ryu (previous style)
7th Kyu Shito-ryu (current)

www.wrexhamkarate.co.uk

baronbvp
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, boxing, JKD/MMA, Shorin Ryu, military combat arts, fencing, archery

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. You can tell how well someone is trained by watching them. I have changed styles several times and started over every time. I prefer to wear pants and a t-shirt to a gi with a belt anyway. The key is to know what you know; to know what you don't know; and to learn what you want to learn.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

wadorue1
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: wado kai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELL SAID RAMYMENSA I COULDNT HAVE PUT IT BETTER MYSELF...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: