Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ad
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey all,
when i first joined martial arts some time ago, i noticed that in my club you dnt start with nothing, and that you actually have to pass a grade to get a white belt, which i did,
however, i have seen in many similar art clubs, they put you on white belt,
i asked my intructor why this was so, and he said that "my philosphy of life . is that you start with nothing, we give you nothing, a belt is an earning, and by giving you one without know knowledge of martial arts is wrong".
i know belts dont really mean much, but what are you views about this dilema
all suggestions welcome
-ad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, i would have laughed to his face...

A belt is supposed to be a statement of level and knowledge. White belts are the beginners, it's just a statement of rank. Maybe his grading system is different. I just think the grading system is so stupid, cos i've seen blue belts beat black belts and all that kinda stuff.

The white belt effectively becomes the second kyu u move to if ur instructor wants to do things that way. Bah! Whatever!

Angus

ad
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess so
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ad
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess your write man
belts dont really have some significance, but our club only gives you it, if you are ready, so in our case, a black belt would easily be able to beat a blue belt, if they were the same size and weight
-ad

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, *beeep*, wrong! U can never say that, unless ur allowed to skip belts and go straight from white to black due to natural ability.

Don't b fooled dude, a black belt is not impervious to mere mortal harm. A black belt is the level you are SUPPOSED to be at, and lets people know that u r versed in the knowledge of fighting... But u aren't invulnerable... Blue can still beat Black. White can beat black. Man, i've been in the MA's for 13 years, and i don't hold any ranks in any styles, really, but just because i don't have a rag around my waist doesn't mean i'm not a good fighter.

Angus

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Poor is the student who does not surpass his master'

n instructor at my school told this to the whole class.What your saying ad is

you can't beat your instructor at sparring or kata.
WRONG
My instructor at the moment is Tobias_Reece. He actually said that I am better than him at sparring,but where kata and bunkai comes in, I cant beat him there, this is 1 goal I wish to achieve.
To be better than my master in training!

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at my school, our Black Belts always seem to get an upper hand over the ones that havn't been training as long, but this is not due to the belt they wear its due to the hard training and patience they've put into the martial arts. Although a green belt friend of mine did manage to get a black belt into the wall (Green belt had just doubled over in pain from a kick and was probly a tad * off for a few seconds there) but the black belt did get out of it

I don't think black belts are invulnerable, I just think that the ones at our club tend to own the lower grades at sparring
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ad
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i understand your points guys,
i gues you guys, haven being the martial arts much than longer me would know that at later stages belts dont signify that your better than a person who has a belt lower than ya, for real ,
but wait, isnt martial arts about consistency training, obviously the higher the belt, the better the training, the better the fighter
i know its not true in all cases, but you guys must see the point im gettin at ,
thnx for the input
keep em a comin

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just goes to show that it's not what youre taught its more how you take it in...

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ad I see what you mean. The belt itself does not mean anything, but you do get belts the longer you've been training. And if you've been training longer theres a good possibility of being deteremined so that those high belts do actually train hard and smart and constantly, and the fact they get a belt is just a "sideaffect" of this. Actually its all that time and effort in training
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: