Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Drew
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Boxing, Muay Thai, Sub Wrestling, Tai Chi, MMA, Medieval, Extreme Reaction Combat Scenarios (This is not a drill) Judo, formerly Mishima Style Karate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Steel Toes Reply with quote

So someone gave me a pair of steel toed shoes the other day. They hurt my feet, so I can't wear them, but I was playing around with some toe kicks while wearing them, something that isn't safe in any of my other shoes. Just the fact that the shoe made toe kicks practical, combined with the extra weight added to any kick makes me want to get a decent pair.

My questions are: 1)Do any of you wear steel toed shoes/boots?

2) Do you do it for self defense purposes or work related purposes?

3) My favorite kick with them on is a leading leg front snap kick to the shin, do you have any favorites?

4) Could any of you recommend any comfortable steel toed foot wear?

Poems, Stories, other Writings: https://andrewsnotebook6.wordpress.com/

Youtube: @AndrewMilesMurphy

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1: No, I cannot get any, because I wear a 12EEEEEE shoe, and I still stretch the width out on my shoes.
If I could, I might wear them and try training to see how well they work. But they don't really work well for the kicks we do on the whole; those are more based on the sturdiness of the sole if anything.

darksoul
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't wear steel toe, but I wear some pretty thick leather boots (biker boots.)

They weigh a ton and the toe area is pretty darn hard.

Evil Dave
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry no, they don't make steel toed Tiva's for me...

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to have to wear them for work and also have a pair of steel toed rigger boots at home... Wouldn't wear them for self defence. Far too heavy tbh but I suppose you could get lighter ones. I'd be worried about the steel digging into the top of my foot if I caught a kick wrong.

Also maybe not wear your working shoes for practising kicks and stuff, I'd get another pair for that. Had to wear them for work to stop things crushing my feet. I'd imagine going out and kicking tons of stuff would eventually impact on the integrity of the shoe.

straightblast
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: close quarter combat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear steel toe shoes for work, front snap kick to shin/knee/groin would hurt.

Regards

darksoul
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Wouldn't wear them for self defence. Far too heavy tbh but I suppose you could get lighter ones. I'd be worried about the steel digging into the top of my foot if I caught a kick wrong.

Funny thing about that is I train one day of the week in my boots. Yes, they are heavy, ridiculously so, but once I put on my sneakers for regular training, my feet are fast as lightning and I have much more precision with them.

Since my boots are my "everyday shoes," it's one of the reason I train with them. If I get into an altercation, I want to be able to kick as if I was barefoot.

Also, great for leg muscles. No chicken legs on this guy

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darksoul wrote:
DWx wrote:
Wouldn't wear them for self defence. Far too heavy tbh but I suppose you could get lighter ones. I'd be worried about the steel digging into the top of my foot if I caught a kick wrong.

Funny thing about that is I train one day of the week in my boots. Yes, they are heavy, ridiculously so, but once I put on my sneakers for regular training, my feet are fast as lightning and I have much more precision with them.

Since my boots are my "everyday shoes," it's one of the reason I train with them. If I get into an altercation, I want to be able to kick as if I was barefoot.

Also, great for leg muscles. No chicken legs on this guy

Ha I suppose in that they are like wearing ankle weights as when I train in mine then take them off, my legs feel really light.

Since you might get into an altercation in them then you should probably train in them
But I wear casual shoes most of the time and the extra weight would just slow me down.

straightblast
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: close quarter combat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have wore mine for years, so they are not heavy to me. I take long walks wearing my steel toes.

madtanker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do/Hapkido

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Steel Toes Reply with quote

[quote="Drew"]So someone gave me a pair of steel toed shoes the other day. They hurt my feet, so I can't wear them, but I was playing around with some toe kicks while wearing them, something that isn't safe in any of my other shoes. Just the fact that the shoe made toe kicks practical, combined with the extra weight added to [i]any [/i] kick makes me want to get a decent pair.

My questions are: 1)Do any of you wear steel toed shoes/boots?

2) Do you do it for self defense purposes or work related purposes?

3) My favorite kick with them on is a leading leg front snap kick to the shin, do you have any favorites?

4) Could any of you recommend any comfortable steel toed foot wear?[/quote]

Just a word of warning, steel toed boots are considered a DEADLY WEAPON in some jurisdictions. I know personally of a man who went to jail because he was involved with 2 assailants, and they were unarmed. He kicked one in the temple, and if I remember correctly, he got 8-life for manslaughter... and this was in defensive mode. PS he worked construction in addition to being in the martial arts...
Be careful in using things like this, they may get you in more trouble than they are worth...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: