Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that you are sticking with it, Questor! Thanks for taking us on the journey with you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Questor
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shukokai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost back into dojo!

Our hard lockdown ended this past week, though we are still not allowed back into dojo until we are at 80% fully vaccinated, which is projected to happen by the end of this coming week.

Outdoor 2 on 1 classes have been continuing though, and yesterday morning I went for a 20 minute 2-1 class that turned into staying around for over 2 hours. Was great to get some personal feedback and help me work on stuff that I had been struggling with. Also started to learn the kata I will need to grade with in about 6 months, Bassai Dai. It's a bit of a step up from the Heian katas I have been doing, but it seems pretty easy to learn so far. Mastering it is what will take the time of course!

Questor
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been back in dojo for a week now.

As expected there has been quite a bit of kumite work happening, given how long we have all been training on our own at home!

I have had a mixed week. Thursday night I had one of those nights where I felt I was just not on my game, and my techniques and kata were behind what I know I can do. I know we all have those days so I am trying to not let it bother me too much.

This morning's class was good. Had a little issue with one sparring partner who was throwing roundhouse kicks like he was trying to hit an impact shield (he has a few issues he is dealing with so I am not holding it against him too much, but I did have a word to sensei to maybe get him to rein it in a bit, as while I was quick enough to get out of the way, others might not be). We then worked a little more on the advanced kata we were learning through Zoom, Anan. I actually really like this kata, it is something very different to our usual.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this great update!! Keep at it; train hard and train well. Knocking off all of the rust is a great chapter for your MA journey; shake the dust off and forge forward unyieldingly.

Questor
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a little while since my last update.

Today we had our final grading for the year. Melbourne decided to make it tough for us, and we graded in 33 degrees C heat! Much hydration was the order of the day.

I managed to successfully grade to 5th kyu. We start to slow down from here, and promotions only come every 6 months at the earliest, but I don't mind that, as I don't want to rush into anything.

Looking forward to getting back on the mats again this week for the last few classes before christmas.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the promotion! 5th kyu can be an intense test, it's the numerical halfway point! It also represents a pretty big conceptual change, I find. To this point, you've learned a lot of foundational practices, now is the time that you begin really building on that foundation to create the structure that will become your style of doing karate. This is an exciting time for you! Take it slow, enjoy the journey, and have fun.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on passing your test!

HM765
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very similar situation here. I attended a few random classes of various schools of martial arts as a kid. It was not till leaving the health profession as a front liner only to contract Covid after the fact two years later. Regardless I had always wanted to practice Karate. I started last July 2021 I was 40. It is now February 2022 I’m now 41 and have advanced at my own pace. I was not worried about feeling lack of train in for experience I just jumped in full on found a style and dojo in town that clicked and I have not looked back. So middle age any age if you want to start just start.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HM765 wrote:
Very similar situation here. I attended a few random classes of various schools of martial arts as a kid. It was not till leaving the health profession as a front liner only to contract Covid after the fact two years later. Regardless I had always wanted to practice Karate. I started last July 2021 I was 40. It is now February 2022 I’m now 41 and have advanced at my own pace. I was not worried about feeling lack of train in for experience I just jumped in full on found a style and dojo in town that clicked and I have not looked back. So middle age any age if you want to start just start.

Welcome to KF, HM765; glad that you're here!!

The old adage...better late than never does include the MA. Covid is no respecter of anyone, and it sounds as though that's behind you. Train hard and train well.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome, HM765. Welcome.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: