Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

rogue2257
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kwanmukan, Shotokan Karate, Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joesteph wrote:
rogue2257 wrote:

It seems to me that the punches in this technique could be substituted for palm strikes . . .

My biggest problem with the technique as it stands is that it dictates throwing punches into the other person's face, which can do some serious damage to the knuckles . . .

Which is likely why you prefer the palm heels, Rogue. I remember reading that when boxing was bare-knuckle in the US, body shots dominated. The danger of damaging your own knuckles (break your own hand?) was greater hitting the boney areas of the face, and if to the face, straight punches, not hook shots, dominated, protecting the outer knuckles.

I wish I had statistics on it, but I've read that boxers have a tendency to break their knuckles in real fights, particularly their little knuckles.

One knuckle injury was enough for me, thanks. I punched a metal pole once after a training session. I couldn't punch anything for a few months afterwards. Lesson definitely learned.

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joesteph wrote:
rogue2257 wrote:

It seems to me that the punches in this technique could be substituted for palm strikes . . .

My biggest problem with the technique as it stands is that it dictates throwing punches into the other person's face, which can do some serious damage to the knuckles . . .

Which is likely why you prefer the palm heels, Rogue. I remember reading that when boxing was bare-knuckle in the US, body shots dominated. The danger of damaging your own knuckles (break your own hand?) was greater hitting the boney areas of the face, and if to the face, straight punches, not hook shots, dominated, protecting the outer knuckles.

Exactly which is why its called the 'Straight' blast. Wing Chun has its reasons for punching straight

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogue2257 wrote:
I wish I had statistics on it, but I've read that boxers have a tendency to break their knuckles in real fights, particularly their little knuckles.

It tends to be the pinky knuckle, or the one on the third finger, or both, and I think has more to do with punching so much with gloves on and getting used to not worry about which knuckle contacts. Also, if the punch is in a hooking motion, those knuckles will tend to lag, and make the contact improperly. Its actually called a "Boxer fracture."

BladeSmartNY
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kali, JKD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you worrying about breaking your hand in a street fight for? You can deal with that the next day. The most important thing is ending the fight.

Chain punching is a great tool once you have made your entry because you can keep going until the fight is over. You also have your opponent backpedaling.

RazeMMA
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Aikido, Hapkido, various styles of kung fu.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Any straight blast that could come close to Bruce Lee's straight blast...then by all means....USE IT!! All someone can do with it is...well...fall down...and stay down...and not get up for awhile.

I would say this also if I didn't utilize elbow jams as blocks. The first fist that come in and meets my elbow straight on is going to re-coil with broken fingers, and that sudden pain will stop the other fist from following it...if not, it will also return with broken fingers. Every technique just about has an Achilles Heal...the elbow jam is the Achilles Heal for the "straight blast"... in my opinion.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RazeMMA wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Any straight blast that could come close to Bruce Lee's straight blast...then by all means....USE IT!! All someone can do with it is...well...fall down...and stay down...and not get up for awhile.

I would say this also if I didn't utilize elbow jams as blocks. The first fist that come in and meets my elbow straight on is going to re-coil with broken fingers, and that sudden pain will stop the other fist from following it...if not, it will also return with broken fingers. Every technique just about has an Achilles Heal...the elbow jam is the Achilles Heal for the "straight blast"... in my opinion.

Absolutely!!

The elbow jam is highly used within Shindokan...can't see me not ever using it.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BladeSmartNY wrote:
What are you worrying about breaking your hand in a street fight for? You can deal with that the next day.

Because you might need your hands working later in that encounter. The damage might weaken your strikes. I might want to post off of my hands, and it's hard to do that with a broken 'foot'. If my finger isnt responsive, I can't keep it from being in the way for later strikes. Plus, if my hand hurts and is telling me it's broken, I just am not going to want to use it as an impact tool. Why should I use tactics that will make that happen more often?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: