Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

rogue2257
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kwanmukan, Shotokan Karate, Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Straight blast for self defense Reply with quote

I was browsing youtube and came across the idea of using the straight blast in a self defense situation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xrrgQvHKiU

I'd only seen it used before in sparring, and it isn't quite in line with a lot of what I've learned about both self defense and close quarters fighting.

Do you think this technique would be effective in an ACTUAL physical encounter? Why?

kamahlthedruid
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Systema

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boxing straight blast also known as the vitor blitz works in the ufc, so I bet it would work in a real situation! Burt Richardson JKD unlimited creator introduced vitor belfort to this stronger, but slower version of the straight blast. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vitor+belfort+wanderlei+silva&aq=f

kamahlthedruid
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Systema

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This technique is meant for fighters to close in the gap and get into a clinch for take downs or strikes!

StrangeBacon
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shinkido-Tai Karate, Aikido, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamahlthedruid wrote:
The boxing straight blast also known as the vitor blitz works in the ufc, so I bet it would work in a real situation! Burt Richardson JKD unlimited creator introduced vitor belfort to this stronger, but slower version of the straight blast. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vitor+belfort+wanderlei+silva&aq=f

Just because it works in MMA doesnt mean it'll work in a real fight, a real fight has too many factors.

For a start the person demonstrating is stood straight on i.e massive target, and as he moves into the strikes he overextends his body and leaves his legs behind, the actual strike he's doing isnt too far removed from a Ura Tate Zuki, the main thing thats missing is the covering hand, again another problem as he's not paying any attention to whats happening to his face while he's striking.

An experienced fighter would have very little problem countering a wild barrage of punches either.

Just my opinion however take it how you will, like i said theres many factors to a fight.

"Seek peace in every moment, yet be prepared to defend your very being"

"Does the river dwell on how long it will take to become the ocean..." - Sensei Bruce Payne

www.shinkido.co.uk

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Straight blast for self defense Reply with quote

rogue2257 wrote:

I was browsing youtube and came across the idea of using the straight blast in a self defense situation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xrrgQvHKiU

I liked the reference by the demonstrator to the piston motion. You could see the power.

The October issue of Black Belt has an article by George Ilyadis titled "Straight Blast: Punching Your Way Our of Imminent Danger," with a photo of Bruce Lee alongside the title. Lee's Jeet Kune Do is a combatative art.

From the article on p. 66:

Bruce Lee told his students, "When in doubt during a self-defense situation, straight-blast." . . .

It's a series of alternating left and right vertical fist strikes intended to overwhelm the opponent . . . [T]he barrage relies on short-range punching power and speed . . .

[It's] like the difference between going to war with a semi-automatic rifle and a machine gun.

Looks like a solid self-defense technique. More info on it can be found in Tim Tackett and Bob Bremer's Chinatown Jeet Kune Do (the first volume), describing it on p. 45, pointing out the difference between the JKD and Wing Chun blasts, and showing photos on p. 46. (An error regarding the photos is that the captions for photos B and C are reversed.)

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any straight blast that could come close to Bruce Lee's straight blast...then by all means....USE IT!! All someone can do with it is...well...fall down...and stay down...and not get up for awhile.

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Straight blast for self defense Reply with quote

joesteph wrote:
rogue2257 wrote:

I liked the reference by the demonstrator to the piston motion. You could see the power.

The October issue of Black Belt has an article by George Ilyadis titled "Straight Blast: Punching Your Way Our of Imminent Danger," with a photo of Bruce Lee alongside the title. Lee's Jeet Kune Do is a combatative art.

From the article on p. 66:

Bruce Lee told his students, "When in doubt during a self-defense situation, straight-blast." . . .

It's a series of alternating left and right vertical fist strikes intended to overwhelm the opponent . . . [T]he barrage relies on short-range punching power and speed . . .

[It's] like the difference between going to war with a semi-automatic rifle and a machine gun.

Looks like a solid self-defense technique. More info on it can be found in Tim Tackett and Bob Bremer's Chinatown Jeet Kune Do (the first volume), describing it on p. 45, pointing out the difference between the JKD and Wing Chun blasts, and showing photos on p. 46. (An error regarding the photos is that the captions for photos B and C are reversed.)

Spot on the only way to learn about it is to train it.

To the OP if you train it an learn it then you will have information you need.

If you look at it from what I have seen. Almost all boxing/kickboxing matches are ended by a barage of punches to the head. You see it in mma as well even if it is lying down. Its still a straight blast just a variation. If you look at alot of street fights on the net you see this as well.

I think I said it on another thread actually its not the technique, its the aggressiveness and mind set behind the technique to simply destroy the opponent.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any time you can overwhelm an opponent with a barrage of techniques, you give yourself the upper hand. Sounds like a good plan to me.

rogue2257
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kwanmukan, Shotokan Karate, Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that the punches in this technique could be substituted for palm strikes, or slaps just as easily, which would be quite a bit safer on the hands than punching.

My biggest problem with the technique as it stands is that it dictates throwing punches into the other person's face, which can do some serious damage to the knuckles, if not done properly.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogue2257 wrote:

It seems to me that the punches in this technique could be substituted for palm strikes . . .

My biggest problem with the technique as it stands is that it dictates throwing punches into the other person's face, which can do some serious damage to the knuckles . . .

Which is likely why you prefer the palm heels, Rogue. I remember reading that when boxing was bare-knuckle in the US, body shots dominated. The danger of damaging your own knuckles (break your own hand?) was greater hitting the boney areas of the face, and if to the face, straight punches, not hook shots, dominated, protecting the outer knuckles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: