Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Sissy
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Recently a friend of me posed a question: what martial art seems best when it comes to the crunch on the street? I did not know a decent answer so I would like to know from as many martial artists as possible. For then, I can have a decent conclusion.

SO: What martial art (only one!) seems perfect on the street, with the focus on self defense? You should take into account that the concerned person is not that very strong and supple.

Furthermore, the situation is WITHOUT any weapons, one on one combat and with BARE HANDS. Once more, the person being attacked by a agressive strong dude e.g. is not very strong and supple. Please don't post an answer with "avoidance is the best thing", because I think people should always try to avoid a fight on the street and work it out.

But that's not my question: please try to mention one martial art that seems best in my story, so self defense on the street. E.g. Aikido? Tell me what you think...

I hope many people post an answer and agree on this point, so that one solution is clear. Thanks a lot in advance.

WITH ALL RESPECT, ANSWERS LIKE "A MIXTURE OF STYLES" ARE NOT OF MUCH USE, because I'm trying to pick ONE out for the concerned person in question here.

This Message was edited by: Sissy on Jul 13, 2001 6:21am

This Message was edited by: Sissy on Jul 15, 2001 9:27am

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not gonna find a simple solution to that question. But here are some examples of great self-defense oriented martial arts.
Silat
Kali
Muay Thai (yes, it is effective)
Brazillian Jujitsu

If you want one art that covers all areas, Silat or Kali is it. The other 2 arts are mainly for hand to hand defense without weapons.

Other people will post what they think are great martial arts for self-defense, but these are the ones that are working out great for me. Picking one martial art will be very hard, since cross-training is truly the best way to cover all areas.

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want a clear,simple,solution to your question with only one answer.

i suggest situation avoidence....simply avoid the problem of confrontation...it's the smartest thing to do. when you don't have strength,size,or training on your side.

the last resort is violence and only to protect life or loved ones.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally carry a kubaton with me wherever I go and think it's a pretty deadly weapon - small but hard and heavy, so as to deal a devastating blow to the cheek, eye, head, crotch - wherever - even on the knuckles. If you can manage to land one good blow, it should either surprise and/or incapacitate them long enough for you to get the heck outa there!

-Unknown-

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehe, you could always try bigrokido.
Bah!

Like Ken says, there is no simple answer and really no one martial art for complete self defense (although HapKiDoists claim that theirs is the complete art of self defense). Crosstraining's the way to go but if you want quick results i think you would want Muay Thai.

Angus

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I have a kubaton also. I think it's a great weapon to destroy the attacking limbs of a person and to really smash the person. It's a great weapon to learn and is in the Silat, Kali system.

DIABLO
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every situation on the street is different. Every attacker is different, and has learned different things. I would say for your friend to try different martial arts and see which one he thinks works the best for him. This will give him the most confidence. In a street fight confidence helps u stay calm and think. That will help u out the most, no matter what your trained in.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i think everything has been said.
No single martial arts is enough for self defense, its the combination and how you use it.

ewing
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2001 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a mixture of styles works well.

TOMMY BEE
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very hard to find one traditional style of martial arts that is best for street self defense.In todays modern world of martial arts there are many good schools that incorporate Punching,Kicking,knees,elbows.throws and Grappling. These are the best schools because they don't rely on one form of self defense like my style is better than yours they just train to win in any situation.
As long as the school belives in these basics that A fight is punching ,Kicking ,and wrestling then they are trainning in A realistic format. Otherwise they are trying to sell you on there style is better than yours concept which is not realistic. A good fighter with heart can be trained in any style and be good.

www.ringoffirekickboxing.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: