Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a kickboxer and I really want to know how to make my punches and kicks stronger. I do a lot ot weight training and I have found doing flexibility helps. Have you got any suggestions?

Thanks in return

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the best way to gain power is to train harder. Practice kicking objects such as bags, paddles, etc. Kicking paddles are one of the best training tools to develop speed, power, and acuracy. Weight training will help you with your strenght but not necessarily make your strikes harder.

Power = speed x force.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are paddles?

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice equation there Withers M.A.A and theres me at school thinking it was speed= distance over time!

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kicking paddles are widely used in Tae Kwon Do. It is a hand held pad and comes in either a double surface or single. Double paddles are usually better. I'll upload a pic of one so you can reference. I've found that Pine Tree paddles work the best for me.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can also get paddles that you can fix to a wall. Take note, that after you strenghen your arm you should always do flexibility stretches before you start swinging cox when you strenghen your arm, say in weights you crunch up the muscle so when you punch, it hurts because your tearing it. Stretching lenghthens the muscle so you can then swing out as fast as you like.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both strength and power are important in the martial arts, but power should be prioritized. Martial artists go from a relaxed state and then "explode" with a strike, throw, or grappling maneuver. Several research studies have supported the idea of "velocity specificity". This means that to develop high-velocity strength, or power, training must include ballistic (high-velocity) resistance exercises. These include various plyometrics and Olympic lifts.

Plyometric exercises involve forceful jumping, bounding, shoving, or throwing. Examples include depth jumps, jump squats, lateral hops, jumping rope, medicine ball chest passes, medicine ball side throws, and clap pushups. These exercises incorporate rapid eccentric stretch and maximal (or near maximal) concentric contractions to place and enormous overload on the muscle. For instance, an athlete performing a depth jump steps off of a box about 2 feet high and lands on both feet. He bends his knees as he lands to absorb the shock. The athlete then jumps up as high as he can. This causes the leg and hip extensor muscles to simultaneously reverse the downward movement caused by stepping off the box and propel the athlete's bodyweight into the air.

Olympic lifting exercises require moving weights (barbell, dumbbell, or other resistance device) as explosively as possible. The lifter attempts to use the entire body to accelerate the weight from a dead stop to maximum speed as quickly as he can. One of the most effective methods of building power is by combining weight training exercises (both high and slow velocity) and plyometrics in the same routine. This is known as "complex training". Usually weight training exercises done with heavy resistance are followed by a similar plyometric movement. Complex training leads to gains in power greater than those of either method used alone.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can perfect your technique, you'll get a lot more power.. Thrusting through with every kick/punch will add extra power.

F = mass * acceleration, so the quicker you can punch/kick, with greater mass, the harder..

The jab can be very powerful AND quick! Most people I see, do not see/use the jab as having knockout power. With the jab, complete it and push through the target. Might feel a little awkard at first, but it is awesome!

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: