Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought. Why not add a weekly tai chi class into the mix. I did. It's helping me a lot. They do all the strength and flexibility stuff, but slowly enough to really focus on what every part of the body is doing, and also slowly enough to ease off if you find too much pressure going to one point. I've been practicing tang soo do for years, and other 'external' styles before that. Yet just a few weeks at tai chi has already made a measurable difference to my tang soo do work.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
Just a thought. Why not add a weekly tai chi class into the mix. I did. It's helping me a lot. They do all the strength and flexibility stuff, but slowly enough to really focus on what every part of the body is doing, and also slowly enough to ease off if you find too much pressure going to one point. I've been practicing tang soo do for years, and other 'external' styles before that. Yet just a few weeks at tai chi has already made a measurable difference to my tang soo do work.

That's solid advice. Just out of curiosity - Do you feel that yoga could provide the same benefits?

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
OneKickWonder wrote:

That's solid advice. Just out of curiosity - Do you feel that yoga could provide the same benefits?

I know people who claim great benefits of yoga. I have very little experience of it myself. Just a few of their poses very occasionally introduced into our warm up and stretching phase.

mushybees
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado ryu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't any yoga experience but when I was looking up the exercises the physio has given me I found the best information on yoga websites.
They know their anatomy and they're know what needs strengthening and what needs stretching.
If I had the time I'd attend a regular class.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to regularly stretch my hips, or else I get injuries, but I've discovered that even slight overstretching is at least as bad.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partner stretching is the best, with both having the intent to become more flexible.

By having a partner there is a tendency to go futhter than one would than doing it alone.

Also relaxing while the partner stretches you out is a benefit as they are the one making the tension and stretch happen.

Having a person standing and walking (sideways) up and down on the the back of the legs massaging them is the best, as in India they use oil while doing it, while they hold on to bars above as to not slip off accidentally.

Personally I stretch everywhere anytime, going for the max while in the spar or in the shower.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: