Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

GhostFighter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Krav Maga + Thaiboxing + Boxing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Striking with elbows instead of fist Reply with quote

My knuckels are very important to me and dont want to risk of breaking it cause i love doing MA but when a streetfight would occurre ive noted myself to strike with elbows and not with my fist since not only would it be more damaging to my assailant but would also leave my bones more out of harms way for breakage!
What do u think? And anyone got any tips on how to fight with elbows on streets?

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the styles you're studying, I am not surprised you like elbows.
I like elbows too and I wish I would think to use them more often. But I don't. I do find myself using knee strikes quite a lot, however.
Go with the elbow! But at the same time - if you're worried about breaking your fist, then you should check your punching form for stability, the conditioning for all that it's worth, and work the heavybag with it more often.

KarateGeorge
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shuri-te Karate, Wing Chun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of elbows too. They can pack quite a whallop if done properly.
If using them in a street situation, you're going to really have to pay attention to your distances. You don't want to reach with your elbows, as you'll lose power and risk putting yourself off balance.

Other than that, just think of all the different angles of attack and how you would use an elbow for each angle. An elbow can be used in a wide variety of ways to cover most angles. Also think about the best targets to strike with an elbow at each angle and how to apply the technique to a real fight.

It's a versatile strike with many different ways to use your elbow...but it is definitely an in-close technique.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher suggests that if you're close enough for a hook punch, you might likely be close enough to use the elbow instead of the first to perform that hook strike.

When working on some self-defense moves, she showed me that, instead of using a fist for an uppercut to the jaw, I could use my elbow for that shot.

In either case, it would be polite of you to help your adversary pick up the pieces of his broken teeth.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elbows are a great tool. They are tight, cutting weapons that can be deceptively powerful and thrown from several angles. That's all good. I'm a big fan personally.

However, it's a weapon for a close fight. Anyone at a distance you'll have to do something else. Now, if you dealing mainly with sd considerations that's probably going to work in your favor. Most conflicts end up right up in your face when we're talking about a determined attacker.

They do take some training and can leave you exposed if you don't work recovery alot. In an all out fight for your life, the last thing on your mind needs to be what you will or won't use. Use what is at hand. Make him cross as many barriers as possible.

That being said, you have to train smart for your goals. If that's the case, working heavy contact with the elbows might do the trick. Just realize that you're giving up some tools by neglecting more time with the hands.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be interested in this Human Weapon video posted on YouTube. It's called "Bokator: Double Elbow Slash":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymvrjBrGNaI&feature=user

Note the opening wrist seize to ensure control for delivery.

GhostFighter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Krav Maga + Thaiboxing + Boxing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joesteph wrote:
You might be interested in this Human Weapon video posted on YouTube. It's called "Bokator: Double Elbow Slash":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymvrjBrGNaI&feature=user

Note the opening wrist seize to ensure control for delivery.

That is indeed a great clip but already seen it, thx anyway

RichardZ
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Striking with elbows instead of fist Reply with quote

GhostFighter wrote:
My knuckels are very important to me and dont want to risk of breaking it cause i love doing MA but when a streetfight would occurre ive noted myself to strike with elbows and not with my fist since not only would it be more damaging to my assailant but would also leave my bones more out of harms way for breakage!
What do u think? And anyone got any tips on how to fight with elbows on streets?

Not to come off offensive, but many females, musicians, and the like who also practice martial arts, do not desire to abuse their knuckles also.

In a certain aspect, a female could learn to clench her fist different than a male for a few reasons.

One has to use caution when appl;ying a elbow as not to strike with a incorrect portion on a incorrect target.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many good points. I'd just like to add that the heel of the palm is also an excellent striking tool so don't neglect that. That will give you a longer range weapon that you can use to set up your opponent so you can close the distance and use those elbows.

WireFrame
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elbows are great, and a street fight is likely to become very close-range from the start. Elbow the throat and end it quickly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: