Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KC1996
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Students in Financial Difficulty Reply with quote

How do other instructors approach a situation where a student (or students) are having financial difficulties and can't afford the full tuition for training, grading fees etc?

How much wiggle room do you give students like this? Do you allow a break in tuition, grading fees etc? Or do you take a more hard-line approach and if they can't pay they can't participate? What do you do for the students who always seems to be down on their luck?

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing stopping a dedicated and determined person from training whenever and wherever possible as often as possible. A student should be able to attend as many training sessions with an instructor as possible. The key is to make the most of that time.

Whatever the student's time and financial resources will allow at a given time. Sometimes these might change, but the essential principle remains: learn in the dojo, but always train on your own. Make sure to take full adavantage of the instructor's time, especially if this is not as frequent as you would like it to be.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How you approach this will depend on your relationship with them and the individual situation.

I do think it's nice to help out when students are struggling but I would always say you are not running a charity and shouldn't feel obliged to provide free tuition. You are providing a (non-essential) service which they choose to participate in and presumably have overheads which need to be met?

I think you have a couple of options:

1) Suspend or reduce their payments until they are able to meet them again
2) Suspend tor reduce their payments temporarily, with a plan in place so that when they are more financially stable they can reimburse you and cover the shortfall
3) Suspend or reduce their payments but they should offer payment in some other way, like cleaning the dojo every week or helping with paperwork
4) Ask that they do not train unless they can meet the fees

Personally #4 is a little harsh and you risk losing the student. #1 is very generous but there is a risk that this could cause resentment from other students and ill feeling further down the line. So I would be leaning to option #2 or #3 as it helps them out but still places value on what you are doing.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an instructor I like to offer help when students are struggling, I have often said they pay another time when they have the money, (usually like to keep it private so others students don't know) but the club does make profit, that profit is for the club therefore I'm happy to reduce certain fees where possible.

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This can be a very difficult situation. But I would make sure they pay something, even if its 5.00 once a week. Or perhaps you can offer to reduce the bill if they bring in a new person to sign up.

KC1996
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a tough situation and the dues are already ridiculously cheap. The dojo has very low overhead so we're lucky that way.

I'm all for helping out to a certain degree. I'm wondering where, or if, to draw the line on how much to help out. Being helpful vs being taken advantage of. If a member already has their dojo dues reduced, would you also do the same for gradings and clinics for the same member?

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say if you charge for testing (some schools don't) and they are in financial trouble, then perhaps they shouldn't be allowed to test. Furthermore, perhaps tell them they can only come once a week.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first love is to teach, and in that, my first love is my students...and not money. I'll work with any student that's experiencing some financial difficulties. I've already, years ago, and so has our Hombu, eliminated all testing fees across the board, and I/we've not looked back since then.

Communication is the key. If somethings broken, and I'm not told about it, how can I try to fix it. All a student has to ever do is to speak with me behind close doors, and together, we'll work it out where all benefit.

If, for whatever the reason(s) might or might not be, I'm not spoken with, and tuition isn't being paid, then suspensions are given and upheld until the communication line is opened. And if warranted, I'll expel because the student refused to open up the communication line.

While my dojo is a business, and my students are more important to me than money, the business still needs to satisfy its accounts receivable and accounts payable. Otherwise, the doors must be closed!! That doesn't do anyone of us any good, if that happens!!

Keep the communication lines open at all times. From that, all things are workable!!

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to train with my family, that’s 4 kids and my wife and myself. I couldn't afford the car payment price of training. At the time and my instructor knew that. He offered to let us pay what we could until we could pay the full amount. We offered to clean up the place after classes, and we did that for a long time. We mopped the floors every night, we cleaned bathrooms, seating area, vacuumed and even painted when needed. We also didn’t pay ANY testing fees. He was very good to us and I appreciate what he did to this day. Obviously he wasn’t about money first and it lead to me teaching today carrying on the Arts.

That is kit to say you have to do that for somebody, but I asked him how I could ever repay him one day, and he said “if you have a student in the future that is having a hard time, do it for them”! I do it from time to time and always will be open to doing it. Working with families that is.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poverty is a huge problem where I live (rural, economically stagnate.) Our master instructor has always said that all are welcome. If someone has a hard time paying our tuition (US$25/mo,) they can privately set something up with him. He says he will never turn someone away over money.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: