Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Students: now and then Reply with quote

This is a question mainly for those who have been training or teaching for at least a decade. How are students different and how are they similar to when you first began teaching or training?

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The phsyical fitness of people has been in significant decline. There are many factors at play:

Obesity in children has went up 10 fold in the past few decades. The American diet - heavily processed foods, fast food and excessive intake has taken its toll (and spread to many other countries.) Phys Ed programs are among the first to be cut from our schools, and our youth athletic programs turned into these crazy "pay-to-play" programs (soccer cost my parents probably $100 or $150 for both my brother and me to play. Uniforms were included. What's the cost now? Several hundred dollars per season in some places!)

I'd say there will be a difference!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some might not like my answer...

I don't care if the students might differ one iota, because the student must come to me to learn Shindokan. In that, there's no difference because I'm no different.

Students of yesteryear or the students of today might appear different on the surface, however, the student must STILL come to me to learn Shindokan, not vice versa, and the manner of how I teach Shindokan is what THEY, not me, must adapt to. To be for sure, my methodologies and ideologies have matured...seasoned over time, but the core of how I teach Shindokan is of Soke and Dai-Soke.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Some might not like my answer...

I don't care if the students might differ one iota, because the student must come to me to learn Shindokan. In that, there's no difference because I'm no different.

Students of yesteryear or the students of today might appear different on the surface, however, the student must STILL come to me to learn Shindokan, not vice versa, and the manner of how I teach Shindokan is what THEY, not me, must adapt to. To be for sure, my methodologies and ideologies have matured...seasoned over time, but the core of how I teach Shindokan is of Soke and Dai-Soke.

Ultimately, that's what educators need to do. If you don't meet your students where they're at, you won't have any students!

Children might be more out of shape these days, but if you get them while they're younger and still have a faster metabolism, they'll bet in shape faster. Losing weight and gaining muscle becomes more challenging as you age, and I'm finding this out the hard way!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of Drive.

Lack of Discipline.

Lack of Respect.

Entitlement Mentality.

That's it in a nut shell.

This is not to say that some where not like this when I started. But there a lot more examples and is more prevalent, and unfortunately I would say more accepted today.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technology today plays a greater role in the learning process.

All of this technology was none existent in the recent past, therefore less distractions.

Where people today are tuning out of the now experience, and in to their music, facebook and text messaging...

I remember back in high school when the hand held calculator came out, there was a big debate as if they should be allowed in the class room and if they are unethical, or they will make people lazy as well, also becoming too reliant on technology.

Now calculators are in phones, today what's the big deal about them..

Know it or not, we are surrounded!

Surrounded by robots!

Who makes the coffee "A coffee machine" robots.

Who cooks "Microwave" robots.

The baby sitter "TV" robots

The secretary "Answering machine" robots

Musical entertainment "Radio" robots.

Your best friend that tells you everything you want to hear "Advertising" robots.

Who takes you on holiday "Airplane" robots.

We are becoming increasingly inferior to our robotic operating surroundings.

Eating franchised food and wearing franchised clothes and driving franchised cars and motorbikes...

Are you practicing, perhaps franchised martial arts? I personally don't.

So yeah, things were different for me, didn't have much to work with but go by with alot less, than what people seem to need today.

bassaiguy
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest challenge is teaching students that when they hear "No" it doesn't mean I'm mad at them of that I don't like them, it just means that there are boundaries in the dojo. Many kids today don't seem to hear no very often so they think that being given limits is personal or vindictive. This isn't only true of martial arts, however, it seems to be a cultural phenomena.

I actually had one mother say, "NAME doesn't like to be told no, so we try not to use that word around him."

http://oronokarate.weebly.com

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassaiguy wrote:
My biggest challenge is teaching students that when they hear "No" it doesn't mean I'm mad at them of that I don't like them, it just means that there are boundaries in the dojo. Many kids today don't seem to hear no very often so they think that being given limits is personal or vindictive. This isn't only true of martial arts, however, it seems to be a cultural phenomena.

I actually had one mother say, "NAME doesn't like to be told no, so we try not to use that word around him."

I just threw up. Little whoever doesn't like the word no? What is wrong with parents today? You can't punish your child in today's society even if it's to instill right and wrong in their mind but then these same people wonder how little Johnny ended up in jail or in the morgue. Worse yet why little Johnny still lives in their basement. Today's PC atmosphere is counter productive to producing respectable productive individuals.

I say no all of the time to students, family, customers, coworkers and employee's. And I get the same answer a lot as well. What does little Johnny do when he has to go out into the real world where he's not the best thing since sliced bread?

Parents need to get a grip. Teach them to be good people and a good work ethic and you won't have to just tell them they are great, you'll actually mean it and they will turn out great. Coddling your child and protecting them from the realities of the world do them no justice. All they are doing is setting them up for a bigger fall.

Wow! Sorry for getting on the soap box but that is a big pet peeve for me.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,

I agree to a large degree with your statement. As kids we were told to go outside and play. Our entertainment was not the TV but the woods or sports.

I see this through my nephews and nieces and my friends kids. They are attached to their electronics 24/7 and would have a melt down if told to go outside and play.

This is not their faults but their parents. They have never been taught moderation.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original question was about martial arts students in general. It is interesting to note that many a contributor’s post describes issues with children or youths. Maybe this can be attributed to the number of children/youths involved in martial arts compared to adults.

How are things similar or different with adult martial arts students?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: