Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Tiger1962
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Former SBD; interest in all training styles.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Students Related to Instructors/Studio Owners Reply with quote

Have you ever witnessed a student who is related to the instructor/studio owner - be it son/daughter, spouse, brother/sister, etc., get different or special treatment from the instructor?

What was it and do you think it was fair ?

NewEnglands_KyoSa
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do , Chinese Kempo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No actually. Fortunately all of the instructors i've had have been very fair if not harder on 'their own'. One of my instructors owned the school and his son was in it, and he didn't get special treatment, in fact it took him 8 years to get his black belt. One of my other instructors owned his own school and his daughter was testing for black belt and on the night of her test she was sick with a 103 temperature and she asked him if she could just not show and do it later. He said no, everyone is required to show and test no matter what. You miss it you can try again in 6 months.

I've had siblings and kids i mentor in my class and i treat them no differently, maybe harder at times. Is it fair to treat them a little harder? Maybe not, but they know it's coming and if they end up staying for the long haul it makes them all the more tough. I haven't seen extremes in either direction though.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My instructor has always been tougher on his own kids. I have not seen any favoritism since I have been there.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I've seen alot of it.

At a prior school I saw a spouse earn a black belt without knowing all of the forms and was not willing (don't confuse this with incapable) to do throws...which were part of the curriculum. Overall...she was 4th kyu at best. Now she's a 4th degree though. She's still horrible.

Tiger1962
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Former SBD; interest in all training styles.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen situations leaning in both directions. Meaning, the instructor being extra tough on their family member or spouse AND being very lenient and lax.

Especially when, let's say you are a conscientious student, pay your tuition on time, train and follow protocol, it is extremely disheartening and disappointing to see your instructor, someone whom you look up to, to treat certain others with partiality when they don't deserve it.

Would you still continue to train there? How would you handle the situation? Do nothing ?

NewEnglands_KyoSa
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do , Chinese Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know honestly. I think treatment and situations like that come in degrees ranging from minor to extreme. If it leans more towards extreme where it's very disheartening to your studies and/or affects your studies i might consider leaving. But just the fact that Martial Arts typically isn't like a team thing, it's a lot about YOU the practitioner and ME the practitioner, kind of united but alone sort of thing? I think that, that philosophy of karate being about me and kind of forget about others and focus on my own training would get me through it. But like i said, all of this depends on how bad the situation is.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta vote with the "depends" crowd on this one. Is it a bad problem, is it disruptive? Is the violation so ergregous that it calls the integrety of the teacher into question? The 4th dan story from above would give me pause on this one.

I've been lucky enough to not have to deal with this, but I know it happens at larger facilities.

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps1 wrote:
Unfortunately I've seen alot of it.

At a prior school I saw a spouse earn a black belt without knowing all of the forms and was not willing (don't confuse this with incapable) to do throws...which were part of the curriculum. Overall...she was 4th kyu at best. Now she's a 4th degree though. She's still horrible.

I would flip out I'm not sure I'd be able to quietly watch that happen.

My Kuk Sool Won instructor had a daughter who has a black belt in the style. But for that particular school, black belt doesn't say much. Plus I've never once seen his daughter in a class in the three years since I was there so I don't know how she gets treated. I think she either went to a different school or was learning before I joined, or both.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger1962 wrote:

Would you still continue to train there? How would you handle the situation? Do nothing ?

As long as the training was good for me, I was getting what I wanted out of the class, and the instructor was good (as far as that goes), I would stay and train. I tend to worry more about my own progress and abilities than those of other students.

Now, if said person with said rank decided to start pulling said rank, and being a bit out of line, then I would probably either say something, or prepare to leave the school.

tori
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen it happen in my school. My instructor was particularly hard on his own child and very leniant on his wife. He treats the rest of the class as he treated his son. In that, I am grateful. In all honesty men, would you want to be really hard on the woman you have to go home and live with? If my husband treated me the way that my instructor treats us, I would kick the crap out of him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: