Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

blood talon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k so, when you said its more like one shot one kill, does shotokan have combos, like say in a full contact match. in a class, do they teach you certain combos or you have to make you own combos through sparring.

p.s
what does 5 step and 3 step sparring mean.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are certin combo's you wil pick up through kata practice. However you are pretty much free to develope your own. The basic combos are just stuff like a block and a counter attack. When you free spar you are fee to do whatever.

3 Step and 5 Step sparring is how we intoduce sparring to new students. Its done slow at first and you pick up speed as you go along.
One person will attack with punch to a given area. He will step in and punch as the other steps back to block after the third attack the defender will counter. Its really nothing more than working basics with a partner. Teaches you control and gives you a person to make the move seem a bit more realistic.

I think it is great to help you develope speed and control. I have adaped my 3 and 5 step sparring to work my takedowns and throws after the first few Kuy tests.

The one punch one kill idea is sort of like this. We are not headhunters but because of the nature of the training we develope strong hips and legs. Thus shotokan has a lot of power. Shotokan students take pride in their power. We use combo's and stuff but we feel we can end a fight with out best punch or kick.

:-)-:
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Kumite, I center all my tactics around the killing blow. If I block, I coutner with the killing blow. If I jab, it is to stun and make an opening for the killing blow. If I sweep, it is to take them down and deliver the killing blow. You get the point. For me, the blow itself is delivered by throwing yourself forward into the punch, literally moving into your enemy and punching through them. When it is delivered, there is no point in trying to go on defensive. You throw your sould into it, and if you succeed, it's over. If you don't, you're done for. Is this proper Shotokan, or just my testosterone-loaded mentality?

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that shotokan karate is the most popular of the karate styles?

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would say TKD is the most popular Martial Art but I have read several times that Shotokan is the most popular form of karate. I am guessing becasue Funakoshi was the first to teach the public. Then it was the fist style taught in America as well.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that Shi-To is actually the most popular in Japan, but Shotokan is bigger in the US.

We do a bit of combo work, generally lots of foot movements and feints before launching the "real" attack, but also strike combos, punch, punch, kick sort of thing. Say like step, feint, backfist, front-kick, generally at hand held targets.

Also, I'd say kata could be looked upon as practising combinations - some sections are just "one huge combo" in a way...

Free sparring we can do pretty much anything, though, which is cool. No need to follow JKF rules in the local dojo

BTW, G95 wrote "Then it was the fist style taught in America as well."

I assume you mean FIRST style, but it's so funny and perfect, because kempo could be translated as "fist style" if you wanted. (Although "fist method" is more standard, I think)

blood talon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so do you do shotokan or kempo?.

k lets say a shotokan man that been takin it for 22 years, and a thai boxer, with the same two yrs. who would win in a full contact match

im not trying to compare the two or see which one is better, but im saying would a shotokan man, would have developed enough in to years to hold their own against a fighting style like muay thai?.(thai kiks are brrrutal)

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I ment first. Sorry left my R out LOL.

IMO you become a better fighter faster in Thai. Because that is all you do is fight. As is true for BJJ and other such styles.

Being a early black belt in shotokan has more to do with understanding the art than being a great fighter. With that said my Sensei Harvey is only a 3rd Dan and I would put him up aginst anyone.

I can't put in a referance of 2 years because people develope at differant rates.
However I would say if a beginner started Shotokan and a beginner started Thai after 3 months the normal testing time the Thai student would mop the floor with us. Bring us back 2 years well it would be a good fight. After that its all up to the person.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" lets say a shotokan man that been takin it for 22 years, and a thai boxer, with the same two yrs. who would win in a full contact match"

Not this silly argument again... I think after 22 years of Shotokan you should have learnt SOMETHING. Many of the high ranking students (sempeis) at my dojo are quite familiar with Muay Thai's "brutal" moves and plenty of other fun stuff that's illegal in "normal" karate tournaments...

I think their IS a steeper learning curve with any style of karate. Anyone can learnt a few "lethal" moves and dirty tricks in a short time that will give them the upper hand against an inexperienced fighter.

But, as G95 mentioned, training and repeating those basic moves for a long time DOES make them into a very fast, reflexive action, with precision that can only be gained in time.

Also, I think understanding the subtleties of combat is something that will only come with time and practise. The little things that give an opponent away, how to anticipate their actions, look for weaknesses in their defense, psych them out, and tire them out without wasting energy yourself. Age and treachery over youth and brash strength.

Lau gar
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-07-01 16:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-07-01 16:58 ]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: