Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would believe most advanced karateka would know quite a few illegal techniques. We just do not use them in sparring. The amount of training time or style is not always relevant to the ability of the fighter. There are a couple of lower ranking people in our dojo that give me twice as much trouble as the more advanced students. They are big, strong and completly fearless, quite a handful
while sparring. I can tell they are going to be real good if they survive.

ZakariRu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 is the perfect time to start shotokan maybe 14 is a little better but i started when i was 15. I was competing internationally before i was 17 so if you are slightly athletic and have a good work ethic you will pick it up right away.

Shotokan as most popular karate style.....

Yes, but not really. It depends on where you go it varies state to state in the us either goju or shotokan from the midwest on. and the west coast is tied between ****oryu and shotokan. (i think sh ito is winning)

In Japan very little shotokan. Its almost All Shi to-ryu. Shotokan still has more then goju and wado though.

In europe shotokan is all over the place.

And every karateka ive ever met from Syria, Lebanon or any middle eastern country for that matter has been shotokan.

-: this is not you being over testestorned i have cracked ribs and had cracked ribs from doing reverse punch drills where we were developing that same mind set. (ISKF club awhile back) I honestly dont think it does much good though

hobbitbob
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: 3d dan Shotokan, 2d dan Wado Ryu, 1st dan Taekwondo, 1st dan Aikido

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The definite advantage of Shotokan is its "portability." My first love is Wado-Ryu, but since 1989 I've never managed to even be in the same STATE as a Wado Dojo. Shoto is also in many ways the essence of "generic Karate (By design, some would say.)." Good Kihon in the Shotkan style will correspond with good Kihon in other styles. The direction of hip rotation may differ, but overall the basics will be quite similar.

[ This Message was edited by: hobbitbob on 2002-07-13 23:19 ]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: