Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Chikara
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Isshinryu, Kobudo, Aiki Jiu-Jitsu, Aikido, Judo, Wing Chun, Systema, CQB (w/ strong emphasis on Krav Maga)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Styles from Ninjutsu Reply with quote

Hey, I'm just wondering... how many styles of martial arts would you say came from Ninjutsu or made it up? I mean, what makes up Taijutsu and the weapon styles?

karate es el amor de mi vida.

tenshinka
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, it is unclear, exactly what you are asking...It is pretty much considered that the "legit" ninjutsu styles of today come from Takamitsu Sensei, of which Dr. Hatsumi's Bujinkan, and the Genbukan are the largest.

Chikara
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Isshinryu, Kobudo, Aiki Jiu-Jitsu, Aikido, Judo, Wing Chun, Systema, CQB (w/ strong emphasis on Krav Maga)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are many different styles OF Ninjutsu. I'm talking about the ones that MAKE UP Ninjutsu; Judo, Aikido, Kendo, etc. I'm just wondering how many would you guess and which ones? And I'm only talking about the weapons and empty hand, not explosives, poisons, or other skills they had.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that the empty hand techniques stem from a style of Jujitsu of some kind, much like that the Samurai would have learned.

tenshinka
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chikara wrote:
I know there are many different styles OF Ninjutsu. I'm talking about the ones that MAKE UP Ninjutsu; Judo, Aikido, Kendo, etc. I'm just wondering how many would you guess and which ones? And I'm only talking about the weapons and empty hand, not explosives, poisons, or other skills they had.

The answer is none of the above...You are speaking of Kokon Budo...Modern Martial Arts (the DO suffix).

Ninjutsu is older than Aikido, Judo, Kendo, etc. It would be a contemporary of Jujutsu etc. Many of the ninjutsu ryu date back hundreds of years, as independent arts...

Chikara
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look again at it, it says, "Styles that CAME FROM Ninjutsu." I'm not talking about Kokon Budo, I'm talking about how Ninjutsu was broken down and separated into individual disciplines over the centuries. BTW, I'm not mad, just love this color.

tenshinka
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chikara wrote:
Look again at it, it says, "Styles that CAME FROM Ninjutsu." I'm not talking about Kokon Budo, I'm talking about how Ninjutsu was broken down and separated into individual disciplines over the centuries. BTW, I'm not mad, just love this color.

Oh...well...I would say not many (in any)...Ninpo has been pretty secretive, not open...

Aikido came from Daito Ryu

Judo came from various forms of Jujutsu as studied by Kano sensei.

Karate came from Ryukyu no Te

Kendo/Iaido came from Kenjutsu and Iaijutsu schools (of Samurai)

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Styles from Ninjutsu Reply with quote

Chikara wrote:
Hey, I'm just wondering... how many styles of martial arts would you say came from Ninjutsu or made it up? I mean, what makes up Taijutsu and the weapon styles?

I don't have the background/cultural knowledge that Josh has, Chikara, so when I saw the first part of this question, I wondered about how it could be answered. I'd always thought that Ninjutsu took from other martial arts to form itself, not that it would have been the root of other arts.

I think that Bushido Man's answer goes back to the antiquity of Ninjutsu:

Quote:

I would guess that the empty hand techniques stem from a style of Jujitsu of some kind, much like that the Samurai would have learned.

I wonder if Ninjutsu didn't influence other martial arts over the years, as practitioners of those arts had to deal with Ninjutsu's adherents, and one way to defeat your enemy is not only to know him, but to learn from him.

Chikara
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I was just thinking about how the Okinawan fisherman went to China and learned their martial arts and formed To-te and then changed into the 3 main styles of that era Naha-te, Shuri-te, and Temari-te, which then got changed by the practitioners to all these other styles. This is just the history as I was taught.

I guess what I really wanted to know was how Ninjutsu came to be. I'm not learning it, I'm just interested in it. I'll probably do it sometime. It looks too cool not to.

tenshinka
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chikara, I am really confused as to what you are wanting to discuss. You started out asing:

Chikara wrote:
Hey, I'm just wondering... how many styles of martial arts would you say came from Ninjutsu or made it up?

Here you ask what "made up" Ninjutsu", then in the same line, as or what styles came from it.

When I replied with my answer in regards to the above questions you then replied:

Chikara wrote:

Look again at it, it says, "Styles that CAME FROM Ninjutsu."

Very boldly telling us you now wanted to now what styles "came from" (thus used ninjutsu as source material) ninjutsu...I answered.

Then you change the focus of your question yet again:

Chikara wrote:
[color=indigo]Thanks!

I was just thinking about how the Okinawan fisherman went to China and learned their martial arts and formed To-te and then changed into the 3 main styles of that era Naha-te, Shuri-te, and Temari-te, which then got changed by the practitioners to all these other styles. This is just the history as I was taught.

I guess what I really wanted to know was how Ninjutsu came to be. I'm not learning it, I'm just interested in it. I'll probably do it sometime. It looks too cool not to.

Okinawan Te has nothing to do with the history of mainland ninjutsu.

I have already answered where Ninjutsu came from, i.e. how it came to be...which is the first answer I offered that you turned down....

I'm confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: