Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Success Story Reply with quote

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

This "article" is really a short essay that I wrote for Creative Writing class. The assignment was to write about a success story in your life. I could have gone into more detail, but that would ruin the whole "short essay" idea.

The month before I turned 13, I did what my old-fashioned community would consider wild and crazy thing. I joined a karate school. I was skeptical at first, but my brother and his best friend were doing it, so my father and I decided to try, too. Besides which, my best friend was a student. After my first night, I fell in love with the art (Tae Kwon Do, I soon learned Karate was just used as a generic term), and have missed very few classes since.

As the months progressed, my brother, father and I progressed through the ranks. In my second month of training, I went to Thunder in the Valley, my first-ever tournament, and took first place in kata! I was so excited, especially since I had competed against higher ranks.

A year went by; another successful tournament went by and I was now a blue belt. My father had to quit because of arthritis in his toes and I had to go into physical therapy for a problem with my hips (unrelated to training). Times seemed as though they could take a turn for the worst, but instead they got better; I was promoted to my dojo’s Leadership Team.

Not long after, I was promoted to the Demonstration Team, then a higher level of the Leadership Team, until I finally achieved my current rank of Assistant Instructor. I also competed in many tournaments, winning First Place in nearly all of them.

Along the way there were mishaps; a large controversy between two black belt instructors (one of them my best friend’s brother) and two red belts resulting in their discharge, my best friend leaving shortly afterwards, and my role in causing her brother to lose his black belt.

Though I was slightly discouraged, my family and new friends encouraged me, and I pressed on. Overcoming physical difficulties and mental battles and tests, my day finally came. Over a year since my best friend quit, my brother and I, along with 5 other people, tested for our black belts. The test was the first of its format; a weeklong, 3-part test.

On Monday, we did line drills such as blocking and kicking, and what we call the Mega-Kata, which is all 9 katas combined into one, long form. On Wednesday, we ran 3 miles before the test, followed by self-defense and finally sparring. This was the most brutal part of the test. I almost didn’t make it through! At one point I was backed into a wall, while a 6-foot tall, 4th Degree Black Belt beat the stuffing out of me. Somehow, I remained conscious, probably holding onto the knowledge that life would never be that brutal again. I qualified for Saturday’s testing. On Saturday, the final part of the test, we did Monday and Wednesday’s testing all over again. This time, however, it was just for show for an audience of family and friends. After one last beating (which I wasn’t even supposed to receive), the test was finally over. Regardless of whether or not I had passed, I was relieved that it was over. Of course, I wanted to pass and hoped dearly that I would, as I didn’t want to have to test again. But at that point, I was simply glad to have done my best and still be in one piece.

I waited in agony, as my fellow testers were called up, one-by-one. So far, each had passed, including my brother. Finally, my name was called. My instructor gave the command to bow, and I did. He shook my hand and said the words I had waited so long to hear: Congratulations Tammy, 1st Degree Black Belt. All of my tension and stress let loose and I began to cry. I felt like a dork, but I cried. All seven of us had passed, with flying colors. Each of us had our doubts, but each of us managed to dig deep and shine like never before.

To date, achieving my black belt has been my greatest achievement and success. Like any success story, there were many stumbling blocks along my way. But with the love and support of my family and friends, and the incredible training from my incredible instructor, I overcame the hurdles. To all those who have doubted me, I have shown them my true power and potential. No matter what anyone says, or how much they think I should feel otherwise, I am a 1st Degree Black Belt and proud.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the submission.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, I wrote another success story for English class this year, using the same subject. However, my take on the issue is very different from this article, and rather bitter in comparison. I'm going to submit it as an article.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

jeffrogers
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Hakutsuru (White Crane Karate), Shaolin Kenpo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting article.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

supergroup7
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing a part of yourself with us.

After training in the Art for awhile, I've learned to appreciate the amount of inner dedication that it takes to go to class, and face the training it takes to get up to the point where you can test for black.

Way to go!

Rotten Head Fok
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choy-Li-Fut, Tai Chi Chuan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Story !
You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enjoyed reading that!!

Coco
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito Ryu, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! That story was fantastic!

longarm25
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Ryu Kyu Te

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice article

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha
but do not reley on them." Musashi

Ace2021
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Daido Juku Karatedo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well written, and very influencial.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: