Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:10 am    Post subject: Suggestions for how to improve hip flexibility Reply with quote

Hi all,

I thought i would see if anyone had any recommendations for some good exercises / routines to do to improve hip flexibility for kicking specifically.

I've been working at my yoko geri and mawashi geri and neither are as high as i would like (or indeed could manage in the past). Yoko geri is very much chudan and mawashi is a little higher but still not properly Judan.

I've been working at doing 90/90 exercises every day as well as some lying hip stretches but i was wondering if there were any good ideas out there. I had a read through my copy of the Thomas Kurz book too but was hoping that someone on here has either had the issue themselves or had to help a student with it. 90/90 is a lot tougher than it used to be with it being a lot harder to remain upright with my right leg in front and left behind, than it is otherwise. Generally my left hip seems a little tighter than my right one

It isn't a structure of my hip issue (i know some people have these) as when i was younger and originally following striking arts i could easily kick above my head with both a side kick and roundhouse kick. I grappled for several years and only returned to striking last year and have noticed it then.

Grateful for any suggestions - even if they are just "work at your stretching more!"

Exercises i have been doing daily for the last few weeks :
- 90/90 for 30 sec each side x 2
- clamshells 3 x 12 for each side
- side lying leg lifts 3 x 12 for each side
- Lying on back, cross leg over other leg with knee up and push down towards
other side whilst keeping back flat (can't remember name for there)
- propping leg up on stair or kitchen worktop and stretching down towards it.
Bending standing knee to increase relative height of stretch

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obligatory statement: I am neither a doctor, nor a physical therapist/chiropractor. I wanted more hip flexibility as well, and this is what I came upon. Seek a doctor's advice before starting any new exercise routine.

So it is just stretching more, but it's a little more than that. You want to be doing the right kind of stretches. What worked for me was focusing more on dynamic stretches, even when I would stretch statically. I focused on stretch kicks, lunges (both regular and side), and squats. It's important to remember that your hips are connected to things, so when you want more hip flexibility, it is important to make sure that you are increasing your flexibility in all areas.

1) Stretch kicks

These are pretty simple. Keep your leg straight (but do not lock your knees), and raise your legs as high as you can. Do this forward, backward, and to the side. The side is the one that will help most in terms of hip flexibility, but, again, getting your whole lower body is important for wholistic stretching.

2) Lunges

Side lunges for side and roundhouse height, forward for front and back. Go as deep as you go and commit to going deeper with time.

3) Squats

Pretty straight forward, and you already do 90/90s. Squats use your hips. Using your hips increases hip flexibility.

4) Static Stretching

Static stretching is not the best way to achieve flexibility. Our muscles like to move around, and so dynamic movement gets us better results without the increased strain. However, static stretching after a workout can be relieving, and warmed muscles won't strain as much to stretch as cold ones. When you static stretch cold, start as easy as possible. I like to lightly, and very carefully, move my hips/legs/muscles up and down or back and forth, going from light strain to more intense. This helps get the muscles moving and more closely resembles dynamic stretching.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
Obligatory statement: I am neither a doctor, nor a physical therapist/chiropractor. I wanted more hip flexibility as well, and this is what I came upon. Seek a doctor's advice before starting any new exercise routine.

So it is just stretching more, but it's a little more than that. You want to be doing the right kind of stretches. What worked for me was focusing more on dynamic stretches, even when I would stretch statically. I focused on stretch kicks, lunges (both regular and side), and squats. It's important to remember that your hips are connected to things, so when you want more hip flexibility, it is important to make sure that you are increasing your flexibility in all areas.

1) Stretch kicks

These are pretty simple. Keep your leg straight (but do not lock your knees), and raise your legs as high as you can. Do this forward, backward, and to the side. The side is the one that will help most in terms of hip flexibility, but, again, getting your whole lower body is important for wholistic stretching.

2) Lunges

Side lunges for side and roundhouse height, forward for front and back. Go as deep as you go and commit to going deeper with time.

3) Squats

Pretty straight forward, and you already do 90/90s. Squats use your hips. Using your hips increases hip flexibility.

4) Static Stretching

Static stretching is not the best way to achieve flexibility. Our muscles like to move around, and so dynamic movement gets us better results without the increased strain. However, static stretching after a workout can be relieving, and warmed muscles won't strain as much to stretch as cold ones. When you static stretch cold, start as easy as possible. I like to lightly, and very carefully, move my hips/legs/muscles up and down or back and forth, going from light strain to more intense. This helps get the muscles moving and more closely resembles dynamic stretching.

Cheers for the suggestions - i think i will try implementing the side lunges and see how they work out. Hip flexibility seems fine in a forward direction (my front kick is still plenty high with snap etc) which makes the side kicks etc look worse, since people seem to assume that if can do one high then should be equally flexible for all!

For side lunges do you typically take a lateral step and keep knee and foot facing forwards and then squat down to the side that is out or do you turn foot out slightly? Am asking as i tried them in the past with foot forward and it did not feel good in the knees, but when i look online that appears to be the common form. Am interested in what worked for you if you were working for the same thing (and don't worry all caveats apply!!)

I already squat weekly anyway but will see if i can fit some more dynamic stretches in.

Thanks!

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my foot straight. If doing it this way is uncomfortable for you, start with a small number. Do it 5 - 10 times with no weight like that until the discomfort goes away. Go up in reps from there, and after you feel no discomfort, add weight if you want. Start slow, and then work your way up. You likely feel discomfort due to the flexibility issues already present.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
I keep my foot straight. If doing it this way is uncomfortable for you, start with a small number. Do it 5 - 10 times with no weight like that until the discomfort goes away. Go up in reps from there, and after you feel no discomfort, add weight if you want. Start slow, and then work your way up. You likely feel discomfort due to the flexibility issues already present.

I'll give that a try and see how it works. Thanks!

Think i might also invest in a foam roller. I think my IT band is extremely tight at the moment and rolling it may help some.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foam rollers don't work as well as advertised. The benefits of them are negligible, both for increasing flexibility and muscle recovery. Finding exercise and movements that put the IT Band to work are far more effective. Yoga has some stretches that will increase flexibility here, I would start there.

https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/17/23/9118
https://www.top-form-fitness.com/articles/Foam-Roller-Study.pdf

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know kicking ability requires a number of different aspects for improvement. Strengthening certain muscles, flexibility and mobility. And of course, practicing your kicks.

The 90/90 position is awesome, but try lifting the leg that’s on your side/reaching behind you while sitting up as tall as you can. That’s a great way to strengthen the muscles used for a round kick.

Practice leg raises from different angles.
- On your hands and knees, lifting straight out to the side.
- standing and leaning on the wall lifting your leg froward, side and back
- balancing away from the wall

FLEXIBILITY. Don’t stretch hard. Not need to push the stretch. Instead, stretch often. 2-3x a day, holding for longer periods of time, but not pushing yourself deeper. Less intensity, more frequency.

Then, of course, practice your actual kicks. Try doing them fast, slow, holding positions (chambered and extended), etc.

My best advice… play around and see what your body can do. Then play around some more, and more, and more.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scohen0300 wrote:
I know kicking ability requires a number of different aspects for improvement. Strengthening certain muscles, flexibility and mobility. And of course, practicing your kicks.

The 90/90 position is awesome, but try lifting the leg that’s on your side/reaching behind you while sitting up as tall as you can. That’s a great way to strengthen the muscles used for a round kick.

Practice leg raises from different angles.
- On your hands and knees, lifting straight out to the side.
- standing and leaning on the wall lifting your leg froward, side and back
- balancing away from the wall

FLEXIBILITY. Don’t stretch hard. Not need to push the stretch. Instead, stretch often. 2-3x a day, holding for longer periods of time, but not pushing yourself deeper. Less intensity, more frequency.

Then, of course, practice your actual kicks. Try doing them fast, slow, holding positions (chambered and extended), etc.

My best advice… play around and see what your body can do. Then play around some more, and more, and more.

Cheers, thanks for the suggestions! I was trying the frequent one already - any time i go to the bathroom i've been doing a stretch with my leg up on the hall bannister staight and side on like a side kick. Seems to be helping a little already.

Am aware this is a slightly daft question but i used to never have any problem with kicking flexibility so i was never sure exactly what helped!

Thanks!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never used to have problems kicking, either. Then I turned 40....

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stretch your hip flexors...but carefully. Do your research before you start decide to stretch your hip flexors because the ruling is still out if one should or shouldn't stretch the hip flexors. I'll be 65 in two weeks, and I STILL stretch my hip flexors, but I stretch slow and careful.

The hip flexors are near the top of your thighs which are key to moving your lower body...kicking is of the lower body. There are different types of stretching routines, but once again, I must stress extreme caution when stretching your hip flexors.

In addition to stretching the hip flexors, do some lunge and thigh stretches as well.

Be safe. Good luck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: