Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Iwant2BaDragon
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2001 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi y'all.
Ive been doing karate now 4 about 6months any way some health related questions maybe one of you can help...
1) my sensai never warms us down after a lesson (if u get that), and regularly find my self getting leg cramps, as what I wud imagine 2 b a result, however, my fellow karateka dont see any problem in this... any suggestions ???
2)I have moderate asthma, will I be disrespected (tell me honestly) by better karateka for having to take my inhaler ?
3) I used to be really flexible , I did ballet for ten years, then stopped for a year and a half and took up karate instead and assumed Id be just as flexible, but so-far I dont appear to be, perhaps sum advice to regain this ??
Okay, thank you for taking the time to read my questions which probably made no sense, if they did then Id be very greatful if you'd tell me what you believe the answers are to my questions.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2001 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

::edit::

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Last edited by Bon on Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2001 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excactly as Bon says

My instructor does not do a cool down at the end of lessons either, so I stay behind for 5 minutes to stretch, and when I get home I'll have a shower and stretch then too, before helping myself to a banana (for some reason they're good for after-working soreness reduction?)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2001 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dragon. First it is nice to meet you.

Anyone who would have a problem with your inhaler has a serious problem themselves of an even worse kind (between the ears). By the way I too, have asthma and have been known to use my inhaler right before class.

You said nothing about your age but it is generally true that someone in your situation will regain flexibility faster than someone who never had it to start with.

Finally do what you need to right after class. And Jack gave you good advice. Despite his youth Jack is full of wisdom. Do what you need to after class.

I look forward to seeing more of your postings. Welcome to KarateForum.

Sai

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2001 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww Sai, you're really too nice. I'm just passing on info
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Wooly
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice everyone! Stretching is very important! Also, don't forget about hydrating yourself! Make sure you drink enough water.... you could be dehydrated...which will cause cramping.

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also believe there was a good post on cramps by Kickchick, which is definately worth reading if you get alot of cramps.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warming up is crucial but as Jack posted the cool down is even more so. You gain more flexibility when the muscles are warm. (Think of the spaghetti noodle theory. When cold, the noodle (muscle) breaks, when placed in boiling water, the noodle (muscle) becomes pliable and stretches.)
Same at my school Jack ...hardly ever do a cool down. We finish our classes with several 5 minute sparring matches....then go and remove gear to go home. Not good... you must get the heart rate down gradually but keep moving so as blood clots don't form. Water as we all know is important before and after your training! Stretch everyday!!! Lots of good tips in the Health & Fitness Forum Iwant2BaDragon.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-01-16 19:59 ]

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dragon

Make sure you get plenty of fluids before, during & after your workout - a good rule of thumb is that if you let yourself get thirsty you left it too late. Take a good quality multi-vitamin & mineral supplement daily. This and a nice slow stretch after class should help with your cramps. That banana is a good idea too - It's the Potassium!

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: