Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Summer is over (for me, at least.) Reply with quote

Today is our first day back to school. Getting to this point has actually been rather stressful. I've had lots of irons in the fire, and tending to them all challenging. Two weeks ago, someone else found a bunch of irons in another fire and gave them to me (I shall spare you all the details.)

At any rate, I kept my head up, made sure I found time to train, and I persevered. So... here's to a wonderful Fall!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 3 more days till Spring here, extra training for me and my daughter on the lawn once it warms up a bit more.
Michigan, hhmmmmm I will be in WI this January again, I don't envy you with those winters............

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids here go back to school tomorrow (6th graders and 9th graders have new student orientation today).

Karate for us will be starting up in the next few weeks (we don't have classes during the summer). Looking forward to getting back into the routine.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulltahr wrote:
Only 3 more days till Spring here, extra training for me and my daughter on the lawn once it warms up a bit more.
Michigan, hhmmmmm I will be in WI this January again, I don't envy you with those winters............

Which part of WI? I'm about an hour from the WI/MI border, and a couple hours from Green Bay.

Winters aren't so bad. I actually moved to the UP to avoid the summer heat in Detroit. Summers in the UP are far more tolerable (we rarely see 90F, and 80's are far less frequent.)

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schools here don't go back until next week! its normally the first week of September that they go back, never go back whilst still in August!

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We go back the Wednesday after Labor Day every year. I have to go in the day before students start for teacher professional development. The 2nd biggest waste of time day every year.

The day before school starts is always the most depressing day of the year for me. I realize how many things I didn't accomplish over the summer. Then the first day of school begins and I'm fine again.

Funny thing happened a few weeks ago - one of my coworkers said "I can't believe we only have 28 days left until we have to go back to work." My reply - "In what other profession would someone complain about only having 28 days of vacation left?"

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
We go back the Wednesday after Labor Day every year. I have to go in the day before students start for teacher professional development. The 2nd biggest waste of time day every year.

The day before school starts is always the most depressing day of the year for me. I realize how many things I didn't accomplish over the summer. Then the first day of school begins and I'm fine again.

Funny thing happened a few weeks ago - one of my coworkers said "I can't believe we only have 28 days left until we have to go back to work." My reply - "In what other profession would someone complain about only having 28 days of vacation left?"

It's funny how no one is really happy, isn't it?

I think it's amusing that people think that teachers "get summers off." I've had so much going on this summer between work projects and family that it didn't feel like I had "time off." It was just time spent doing things that weren't in the classroom. There was more time for me to get my workouts in, however. I will miss that!

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
Bulltahr wrote:

Which part of WI? I'm about an hour from the WI/MI border, and a couple hours from Green Bay.

Winters aren't so bad. I actually moved to the UP to avoid the summer heat in Detroit. Summers in the UP are far more tolerable (we rarely see 90F, and 80's are far less frequent.)

I would love to visit the UP in summer, but alas, too much work at this end over that period. Furthest North I will be is St Germaine, snow mobiling for a few days....Then Stevens point, Berlin (Grimms) and Baraboo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: