Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

grenage
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
grenage wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
grenage wrote:
Hi Alan,

My hips clunk like mad! Could you recommend and exercises to work on opening the hips? I'm taking up yoga once a week with my partner, in the hopes that things may improve.

No worries, I'm sure your clunks can be sorted out.

Give me a few days and I will get more in depth with what needs to be done with some recommend videos.

Take care.

Thanks, Alan; I'd really appreciate that.
Yoga or any discipline for that matter, isn't going to miraculously cure clanking hips and aggravating knee joints.

Understanding fully why this happens and using proper techniques, when kicking and exercises will.

Here is just a primer on this subject to start you off on the right foot (excuse the pun)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=on1o6E9fqZA

Self evaluation on your turnout is important.

By using the clock method, with 12 being in front of you and 6 is behind you, then 9 will be to your left and 3 is to your right.

Standing at 12, using an inside to outside crescent kick with the left foot, with your right foot pointing at 1. Feel the clunk in your kicking hip?

Repeat the kick now with the right foot turned out to 2. The clunk should be a little less.

Repeat the kick now with the right foot turned out to 3.

Repeat to 4,5 and 6 if possible.

Starting from this one inside to outside cresent kick, with the left foot, while the supporting leg points from 1 to 6.

You should find that the more the supporting leg is pointing towards 1. the more your kicking hip will clunk and the more the supporting leg points towards 6 the clunk will disappear but instead the knee of the supporting leg will become affected with discomfort and eventually pain.

The supporting leg, needs to have the knee inline with the foot.

Turnout of the hips is paramount, otherwise the knee of the supporting leg will compensate for what the hip should be doing.

Try out this little test for yourself, and let's see if this works for you.

Also have a ballet teacher explain why turnouts are important, if one is available.

I'll check out some exercises and more explanations for you also.

This all might seem very complicated at the moment, but really, it is all easy, (like everything else) when you know how.

Take care grenage.

Hi Alan,

That's great, thank you. I wasn't too sure on what turning the hips out meant, but the video makes it pretty clear. Looks like this might take a while to correct!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grenage wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
grenage wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
grenage wrote:
Hi Alan,

My hips clunk like mad! Could you recommend and exercises to work on opening the hips? I'm taking up yoga once a week with my partner, in the hopes that things may improve.

No worries, I'm sure your clunks can be sorted out.

Give me a few days and I will get more in depth with what needs to be done with some recommend videos.

Take care.

Thanks, Alan; I'd really appreciate that.
Yoga or any discipline for that matter, isn't going to miraculously cure clanking hips and aggravating knee joints.

Understanding fully why this happens and using proper techniques, when kicking and exercises will.

Here is just a primer on this subject to start you off on the right foot (excuse the pun)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=on1o6E9fqZA

Self evaluation on your turnout is important.

By using the clock method, with 12 being in front of you and 6 is behind you, then 9 will be to your left and 3 is to your right.

Standing at 12, using an inside to outside crescent kick with the left foot, with your right foot pointing at 1. Feel the clunk in your kicking hip?

Repeat the kick now with the right foot turned out to 2. The clunk should be a little less.

Repeat the kick now with the right foot turned out to 3.

Repeat to 4,5 and 6 if possible.

Starting from this one inside to outside cresent kick, with the left foot, while the supporting leg points from 1 to 6.

You should find that the more the supporting leg is pointing towards 1. the more your kicking hip will clunk and the more the supporting leg points towards 6 the clunk will disappear but instead the knee of the supporting leg will become affected with discomfort and eventually pain.

The supporting leg, needs to have the knee inline with the foot.

Turnout of the hips is paramount, otherwise the knee of the supporting leg will compensate for what the hip should be doing.

Try out this little test for yourself, and let's see if this works for you.

Also have a ballet teacher explain why turnouts are important, if one is available.

I'll check out some exercises and more explanations for you also.

This all might seem very complicated at the moment, but really, it is all easy, (like everything else) when you know how.

Take care grenage.

Hi Alan,

That's great, thank you. I wasn't too sure on what turning the hips out meant, but the video makes it pretty clear. Looks like this might take a while to correct!
Takes a while to correct, for me, it is a work in progress project, with no final finish date for completion.

In other words from now till infinity.

Hope you try out the clock, inside to out side crescent kick test.

Still would like explain more on this turnout subject with other links...

Turnouts with Talia just for starters
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hv-M0Oq9zIw

More from elastic steel
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P1AxHLiKxf0

Take care
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: