Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is sad that they are told to misrepresent themselves while training in Japan. That is appalling conduct on all sides; though, can see why they might be told to avoid using their actual name as the compound phrase of Go Kan pronounced incorrectly sounds like rape as mentioned before. Then again okosu and okasu can get you in trouble so it seems a weak reasoning to me.

I have just heard that they have success in the NAS, actually make the effort to train in Japan, have produced competitors whom have engaged in full contact bouts, and though they use canvassing that they do not engage in the deceitful tactics they have used in the UK.

Now I could be misinformed but none of the same can be said of the GKR in the UK so in comparison I have heard good things. Though, I am half way across the world so all my information has been second or third hand in regards to the GKR in Australia.

wagnerk
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did train with GKR for a little while, after Shotokan & Freestyle but before TSD, so I've seen & heard both sides of the argument pro & cons/good & bad for GKR in the UK.

To my knowledge, yes they do train in Japan under another style over there. However what does that really mean? It just means that they were visiting students at another association and paid their training fees. While it's nice to say that "I've trained under a Japanese sensei or association", it doesn't automatically mean that they are better than an instructor or association over here in the UK or the US. As for not saying what style they are from, I don't believe that is 100% accurate... There are several vids of GKR students/groups studying in Japan with their badges (their badges say GKR around their logo).

While I can't remember alot of the big names in GKR, a few of them do actually come from other arts. Generally speaking transfering rank or climbing the ranks is not allowed (unless there's an inner circle that I don't know about). So everyone has to attend X amount of lesson before they are allowed to grade.

As for whether or not GKR is a McDojo, I guess it would depend on what a persons definition is of a McDojo. Personally speaking GKR do have some practices that I do not agree with, but they also have some practices that I do (personally in the end I stopped training with them).

Just wanted to give a balanced view.

-Ken

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wado Heretic wrote:
That is sad that they are told to misrepresent themselves while training in Japan. That is appalling conduct on all sides; though, can see why they might be told to avoid using their actual name as the compound phrase of Go Kan pronounced incorrectly sounds like rape as mentioned before. Then again okosu and okasu can get you in trouble so it seems a weak reasoning to me.

It is sad to hear that they are told not to mention which style they train in. If they are truly proud of their style then they should be able to mention it.

Although It is understandable for pronunciation, but shouldn't they know how to correctly pronounce their own styles name?

mrdent34
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've fought against a few of them in tournaments and tbh some wernt bad fighters and some i've made aquaintences with. GKR to my club are treated like just another rival when it comes to tournaments. i have heard conflicting things about them though. like any franchise they will always have good and bad outlets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: