Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe everyone has an inherent survival instinct and tactics but just how mature that might be, one might not know until that moment arrives. Still, learn all that one can so that one can be much more than prepared.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:
There are many thoughts and theories about survival and depending on who you talk to you will get a plethora of examples of what to do and what not to do.

In the end good common sense, patience, and training are the keys to survival.

I have been through survival training having to live for a week with a knife, empty canteen and a bit of string. Again in the end it comes down to common sense and patience so you can make rational decisions and taking what amount of training you have received and applying it in the best way.

Most would not survive because they panic or make hasty decisions due to perceived time constraints. Example would be, if I don't trap something today I'm going to run out of time and die, thus making a hasty thrown together plan to trap food and when it fails they have put themselves in worse shape and expended energy they do not have rather than taking time to think things through.

Food, shelter and water are basic. Beyond that you have to use your head.

It also applies to the streets. If someone is approached by a perceived attacker, most will panic instead of looking at their surroundings and taking advantage of it. Maybe there is a make shift weapon that will tilt the scales in your favor or maybe there is a way out that you would not have seen if you made a rash, hasty decision.

Fear is the number one enemy in an survival situation. It causes you to rush and make bad decisions. Keeping ones head and analytically thinking before acting is the missing factor and the one thing that can save your life.

Training is a factor that helps tip the scales in your favor however even with all the training in the world without common sense and patience it doesn't tip the scales enough. Taking a few seconds to think before acting can mean the difference between life and death.
Solid post!

Knowing oneself in knowing what one can do and the limitations we have.

I don't recommend doing, this but I have done it, at times to build up a tolerance for it.

For instance going without food for four days and only drinking water.

As most people might panic after not eating for 24hrs.

I know now that I can be without food for four days away from civilization to get food, before any noticeable effects start to take place.

I had read once that after 4 days you do not feel the hunger as much. I tried it. It works.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember that you can go 3 weeks without food but only 3 days without water. Of course this would be relative to the conditions your exposed to.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:
There are many thoughts and theories about survival and depending on who you talk to you will get a plethora of examples of what to do and what not to do.

In the end good common sense, patience, and training are the keys to survival.

I have been through survival training having to live for a week with a knife, empty canteen and a bit of string. Again in the end it comes down to common sense and patience so you can make rational decisions and taking what amount of training you have received and applying it in the best way.

Most would not survive because they panic or make hasty decisions due to perceived time constraints. Example would be, if I don't trap something today I'm going to run out of time and die, thus making a hasty thrown together plan to trap food and when it fails they have put themselves in worse shape and expended energy they do not have rather than taking time to think things through.

Food, shelter and water are basic. Beyond that you have to use your head.

It also applies to the streets. If someone is approached by a perceived attacker, most will panic instead of looking at their surroundings and taking advantage of it. Maybe there is a make shift weapon that will tilt the scales in your favor or maybe there is a way out that you would not have seen if you made a rash, hasty decision.

Fear is the number one enemy in an survival situation. It causes you to rush and make bad decisions. Keeping ones head and analytically thinking before acting is the missing factor and the one thing that can save your life.

Training is a factor that helps tip the scales in your favor however even with all the training in the world without common sense and patience it doesn't tip the scales enough. Taking a few seconds to think before acting can mean the difference between life and death.
Solid post!

Knowing oneself in knowing what one can do and the limitations we have.

I don't recommend doing, this but I have done it, at times to build up a tolerance for it.

For instance going without food for four days and only drinking water.

As most people might panic after not eating for 24hrs.

I know now that I can be without food for four days away from civilization to get food, before any noticeable effects start to take place.

I had read once that after 4 days you do not feel the hunger as much. I tried it. It works.

I agree with you, I could have went alot longer without food but was feeling light headed; perhaps due to low blood sugar levels.

It is reassuring to know that being a slave to food isn't an issue for me.

I do the same thing but with different types of things, such as going many days without spending money or drinking coffee, watching TV, as there are many different kinds of things that we imagine to depend on to keep us going.

How many people are addicted to buying tools and being addicted to buying clothes?

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could say the same but I like my steaks and hamburgers way too much. So having said that I guess I am a slave to my food.

Oh well there are worse things.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
I wish I could say the same but I like my steaks and hamburgers way too much. So having said that I guess I am a slave to my food.

Oh well there are worse things.
The funny thing about foods, is that what a person craves can be the very food that is harmful to them.

I crave deep fried food, but I haven't had any for many years, if I give into temptation, then my arteries will never forgive or forget about my lack of interest in staying healthy.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was a sort of gag gift but I was given a copy of Bear Grylls "How to Stay Alive" for Christmas. Now ready for the apocalypse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: