Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Survival Tactics and Instincts Reply with quote

No matter where you are, survival tactics are at hand, probably more than one can fathem as routine takes place over this constant concern.

But what if you found yourself lost in the woods, alone?

Going to wish you knew a thing or two in a hurry.

Suppose you have found a way out of the woods and there is a road, do you turn left or right, you choose.

So there you are walking along the road for four hours, then eventually you come to a fork in the road, which one do you pick, left or right, you choose?

So you continue walking along one of the forks (that you have picked) on the road and remember this story.

As one simple piece of information would have saved your life.

That is, if you are lost in the wilderness and you come across a road and you follow it and you come to a fork in the road, turn around and walk back the way you just came.

For the simple rule in the wilderness is, all roads move away from civilization, as forks in the road adhere to this code.

This is how and why the expression came about that, all roads lead to Rome, also because the Romans invented them; whereas the modern expression leads us to think the contrary, of ending up in the same place, no matter what we do.

Survival tactics and skills are essential elements that can make or break anyone, basic information can save your life.

Do you have the skills to survive in unfamiliar territory?

Your ancestors had the skills to survive, otherwise you wouldn't be here but do you yourself have the deep down instinct to survive?

Marital arts and knowing which roads to take and not take in the city are also a part of survival skills, just that it is urban, this doesn't make it any less dangerous than the wilderness.

Perhaps the term, urban jungle, is just pointing out the similarities.

Want to know more or do you have something to add?

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of a good book by Gavin de Becker called "The Gift of Fear". He has a follow up book that I have not read yet, as well.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
This reminds me of a good book by Gavin de Becker called "The Gift of Fear". He has a follow up book that I have not read yet, as well.
Thanks LLLEARNER, I'll look in to this book or two.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
LLLEARNER wrote:
Thanks LLLEARNER, I'll look in to this book or two.

The book focuses on more subconscious survival rather than the conscious survival you describe. One has to learn, either through handed down knowledge or experience to turn around from a fork in the road. During a survival situation, like a home invasion, the subconscious (or lizard brain as Massad Ayoob calls it) picks up on details that help your decision making without your realizing it.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the (audio) in an interview about his book by Gavin de Becker:

The Gift of Fear pt1 & 2

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DXU7GZhh7sY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sq31tVY9Dw4

Have listened to both videos, Gavin seems like he has an important message to teach and tell about the importance of being intuitive.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Survival Tactics and Instincts Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
No matter where you are, survival tactics are at hand, probably more than one can fathem as routine takes place over this constant concern.

But what if you found yourself lost in the woods, alone?

Going to wish you knew a thing or two in a hurry.

Suppose you have found a way out of the woods and there is a road, do you turn left or right, you choose.

So there you are walking along the road for four hours, then eventually you come to a fork in the road, which one do you pick, left or right, you choose?

So you continue walking along one of the forks (that you have picked) on the road and remember this story.

As one simple piece of information would have saved your life.

That is, if you are lost in the wilderness and you come across a road and you follow it and you come to a fork in the road, turn around and walk back the way you just came.

For the simple rule in the wilderness is, all roads move away from civilization, as forks in the road adhere to this code.

This is how and why the expression came about that, all roads lead to Rome, also because the Romans invented them; whereas the modern expression leads us to think the contrary, of ending up in the same place, no matter what we do.

Survival tactics and skills are essential elements that can make or break anyone, basic information can save your life.

Do you have the skills to survive in unfamiliar territory?

Your ancestors had the skills to survive, otherwise you wouldn't be here but do you yourself have the deep down instinct to survive?

Marital arts and knowing which roads to take and not take in the city are also a part of survival skills, just that it is urban, this doesn't make it any less dangerous than the wilderness.

Perhaps the term, urban jungle, is just pointing out the similarities.

Want to know more or do you have something to add?

Another interesting survival tip to know, this time out in the wide open desert.

Due to unforeseen reasons people can become stranded or lost in the desert.

While venturing out on foot for their survival, surrounded by sand, it has been discovered that, they, to their surprise, end up back in the same spot that they started from.

The reason for this is that when in the desert, with no bearings to focus on such as a building or structures, that one leg being more dominant than the other, causes people to walk in a full circle.

This can and needs to be counteracted by being aware of this and to make an adjustment by turning away to the right for every 100 steps if the person naturally leans to the left.

Combined with the knowledge of the movements of the sun can also be of help, by understanding the shadows, can give a person an idea of the time of day.

Before setting off on foot, it is an idea to make an arrow pointing in the direction you have chosen to go in, with the word S O S spelled out with anything at hand.

Consider making arrows on the ground still pointing in the direction you are headed in while on your journey back to civilization.

Writing down your name, date and details about yourself is always a good idea, including the state of your health and if medication is needed, also contact details of someone that knows you, would be advisable, on your person and also from your present starting off on foot location.

Heat during the day and being cold at night is an issue.

Covering your head with a hat or something to give shade while walking is going to slow down becoming dehydrated (also at night when the temperature drops) body heat can be conserved when the head is covered.

Having a pebble in your mouth, is a good way to keep it moist from drying out too fast; which will help to conserve water.

At night in the desert can become very cold, one survivor, continually walked around a rock all night long, to stay warm, if not, he would have surely died from hypothermia.

Therefore consider sleeping between times of extreme heat and cold if possible.

Having someone that knows your travel plans in advance, is also a successful way of survival, because if you don't show up when you should, then a rescue response can be set in motion to find you.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many thoughts and theories about survival and depending on who you talk to you will get a plethora of examples of what to do and what not to do.

In the end good common sense, patience, and training are the keys to survival.

I have been through survival training having to live for a week with a knife, empty canteen and a bit of string. Again in the end it comes down to common sense and patience so you can make rational decisions and taking what amount of training you have received and applying it in the best way.

Most would not survive because they panic or make hasty decisions due to perceived time constraints. Example would be, if I don't trap something today I'm going to run out of time and die, thus making a hasty thrown together plan to trap food and when it fails they have put themselves in worse shape and expended energy they do not have rather than taking time to think things through.

Food, shelter and water are basic. Beyond that you have to use your head.

It also applies to the streets. If someone is approached by a perceived attacker, most will panic instead of looking at their surroundings and taking advantage of it. Maybe there is a make shift weapon that will tilt the scales in your favor or maybe there is a way out that you would not have seen if you made a rash, hasty decision.

Fear is the number one enemy in an survival situation. It causes you to rush and make bad decisions. Keeping ones head and analytically thinking before acting is the missing factor and the one thing that can save your life.

Training is a factor that helps tip the scales in your favor however even with all the training in the world without common sense and patience it doesn't tip the scales enough. Taking a few seconds to think before acting can mean the difference between life and death.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
There are many thoughts and theories about survival and depending on who you talk to you will get a plethora of examples of what to do and what not to do.

In the end good common sense, patience, and training are the keys to survival.

I have been through survival training having to live for a week with a knife, empty canteen and a bit of string. Again in the end it comes down to common sense and patience so you can make rational decisions and taking what amount of training you have received and applying it in the best way.

Most would not survive because they panic or make hasty decisions due to perceived time constraints. Example would be, if I don't trap something today I'm going to run out of time and die, thus making a hasty thrown together plan to trap food and when it fails they have put themselves in worse shape and expended energy they do not have rather than taking time to think things through.

Food, shelter and water are basic. Beyond that you have to use your head.

It also applies to the streets. If someone is approached by a perceived attacker, most will panic instead of looking at their surroundings and taking advantage of it. Maybe there is a make shift weapon that will tilt the scales in your favor or maybe there is a way out that you would not have seen if you made a rash, hasty decision.

Fear is the number one enemy in an survival situation. It causes you to rush and make bad decisions. Keeping ones head and analytically thinking before acting is the missing factor and the one thing that can save your life.

Training is a factor that helps tip the scales in your favor however even with all the training in the world without common sense and patience it doesn't tip the scales enough. Taking a few seconds to think before acting can mean the difference between life and death.
Solid post!

Knowing oneself in knowing what one can do and the limitations we have.

I don't recommend doing, this but I have done it, at times to build up a tolerance for it.

For instance going without food for four days and only drinking water.

As most people might panic after not eating for 24hrs.

I know now that I can be without food for four days away from civilization to get food, before any noticeable effects start to take place.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fasted before when I was a younger man but I find it almost impossible now as I like my food a bit too much to go without it. Ironically I still have a fast metabolism so I am not cursed (YET!) with the gaining of weight due to over eating. I'm sure it will catch up to me someday though.

I look at survival as mostly good common sense.

Actually I look at most things and life in general as common sense. It's amazing what happens when you slow down and take a second to think things through before acting.

Haste is a mistake, some times a costly one, waiting to happen and just like Murphy's Law it usually does.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
I have fasted before when I was a younger man but I find it almost impossible now as I like my food a bit too much to go without it. Ironically I still have a fast metabolism so I am not cursed (YET!) with the gaining of weight due to over eating. I'm sure it will catch up to me someday though.

I look at survival as mostly good common sense.

Actually I look at most things and life in general as common sense. It's amazing what happens when you slow down and take a second to think things through before acting.

Haste is a mistake, some times a costly one, waiting to happen and just like Murphy's Law it usually does.
Before semi-retiring my job, was mostly to fix the mistakes others made, I liked to joke that I'll be the last one to be fired, also that, doing one's job is "Job security"

As well as "How is it possible that there is always time to fix things when done wrong and never enough time to do it right the first time?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: