Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Switching from Chito Ryu to Isshin Ryu! Reply with quote

Just kinda feel like sharing this in case anyone can relate. I received my Shodan in Shorin Ryu and due to work, wasn’t able to train at a dojo until the beginning of 2020 when I lost my job as a yoga teacher (my classes were all during karate classes). At the beginning of 2020, I had to move and started training in Chito Ryu around the time I got back into college.

I was told to learn as much of their system as I could, remaining a white belt, and eventually they’d test me on what I picked up with the possibility of jumping straight to Shodan. I thought that was cool, and I really didn’t mind being a white belt for awhile. However, as the months went by, I started learning more about the dojo I was training at...

The instructors are out of shape. No big deal, as I know plenty of instructors that are out of shape but have a wealth of knowledge to share. That’s what I thought these teachers were like - and don’t get me wrong, they’re plenty knowledgeable. But they have the attitudes of an irritated child. Let me explain!

1. Initially, you think they’re just tough on you. But over the course of 8 months or so, I not once heard them encourage or congratulate one of their students. Never giving any positive feedback, only pointing out what was wrong and needed work.
2. They only have one way of teaching everything. If you can’t understand what they’re saying the first time, instead of trying to say it or teach it differently, they get frustrated and walk away.
3. They wanted to test me in kobudo, a class that’s held once a week. I was having trouble learning what I’d need to know for my test because they were always having me practice different weapons and rarely repeating what I’d be tested on - on top of the class only being once a week. When I first went to the instructors and said that I didn’t feel confident in knowing what I need for my test, they told me to act like I’m confident and then walked away. When the test came and I told them I’m not going to participate in the testing, they told me “that’s not what I wanted to hear” and then walked away.

These are the main examples of many, but the ones that stood out to me. I knew I’d have to find a new dojo, so I started looking around. When I found this Isshin Ryu place, and Isshin Ryu feels somewhat awkward to me because of the difference in how they do techniques, I knew I was in a better dojo (with better teachers) at the beginning of the class. I did something wrong, but I tried and did it a little better, and the instructor said “great job!” I made the decision to stay there at that moment. And although Isshin Ryu is different, I truly enjoyed the instruction of the class, as well as the personalities of the teachers.

I’m not sure if anyone can relate or has any input on my previous instructors. But I’m good at karate. I’m not the best by any means, but I know I’m not bad and I know I make kata look good. The Chito Ryu School was lacking experienced black belts, some of which were exceptional. But most of the black belts, even brown and green belts, had a hard time remembering the curriculum. No class structure.

Although I was really disappointed and frustrated, I’m thankful I had this experience and I’m thankful that I had enough self respect to find a new place to train. I’m looking forward to learning Isshin Ryu!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you made the right decision for yourself and your training, which is great. As Bob is fond of saying, "not all black belts can teach."

Now, I'm not going to go so far as to say the black belts you had at Chito Ryu couldn't teach. It does sound like they tended to be quite reluctant to teach in any other manner, and it sounds like they don't adjust their teaching style very well. When I'm breaking in new instructors, I try to get them to be flexible, and figure out different ways of getting the same points across, because not everyone learns the same way.

It also sounds like your new instructors are into positive reinforcement and constructive criticism, which are two more traits I find highly valuable in an instructor. And people respond to praise differently, too. Some people need it, and some just want to know what to fix and how to get better, regardless of how they are fed the information.

All in all, it sounds like you've found a school with some instructors that fit what you want, and that is great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: