Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

immaterial
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Switching to a rival ITF organization Reply with quote

Moving to a new city and found a rival ITF organization/ school that I wish to enlist in.

I have 5 years of training in another ITF organization. Do I need to promise not to train at both? Or they don't care?

Thanks.

wagnerk
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the organisations and instructors... Some allow it, some frown upon it... You will have to ask them..

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by "rival ITF" organization? I would think an ITF practitioner should be welcome to train in any ITF school.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes personal ambitions for gain or politics can interfere with the practice of a martial art. Just because they train in the same exact system it unfortunately does not necessarily follow that martial arts practitioners will agree with one another. More often than not there will be differences of emphasis in training as well as interpretations of certain concepts from one instructor to another. This is usually the source of rivalry between schools of the same lineage/style.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Switching to a rival ITF organization Reply with quote

immaterial wrote:
Moving to a new city and found a rival ITF organization/ school that I wish to enlist in.

I have 5 years of training in another ITF organization. Do I need to promise not to train at both? Or they don't care?

Thanks.

Different NGB (ITF group within your country) or different ITF group (e.g. ITF under GM Choi Jung Hwa vs ITF under Prof Ri Yong Son vs ITF under GM Pablo Trajtenberg)?

Either way it will depend on the school. Go with an empty cup and most will not have an issue.

I've swapped NGB and even in the past swapped ITF (though at that point I was a low grade and it didn't matter to me).

immaterial
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Switching to a rival ITF organization Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
immaterial wrote:

Thanks.

Different NGB (ITF group within your country) or different ITF group (e.g. ITF under GM Choi Jung Hwa vs ITF under Prof Ri Yong Son vs ITF under GM Pablo Trajtenberg)?

Either way it will depend on the school. Go with an empty cup and most will not have an issue.

I've swapped NGB and even in the past swapped ITF (though at that point I was a low grade and it didn't matter to me).

I thought I made that clear by different "organization". I belonged to the North Korea connection originally.

immaterial
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
What do you mean by "rival ITF" organization? I would think an ITF practitioner should be welcome to train in any ITF school.

Therer were rival ITFs set up after the founders death, all claiming to represent the true ITF, sometimes suing each order.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Switching to a rival ITF organization Reply with quote

immaterial wrote:
DWx wrote:
immaterial wrote:

Thanks.

I thought I made that clear by different "organization". I belonged to the North Korea connection originally.

It'll depend on the school and to a lesser extent your grade. Below 1st Dan I really can't see it being an issue. Above first Dan and you would have to transfer your certification over to the new ITF. I'm not sure what it is for the others but if you were to swap into the N. Korean ITF they'll just issue a certificate for 1st, 2nd and 3rd (possibly 4th Dan too?). For higher degree grades there's a few more hoops to jump through but it's still relatively easy. I do know some lower Dan grades who actively train (and compete) in 2 ITFs. Best thing is to ask the new school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: