Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

stl_karateka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu & Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Symbolism of the IsshinRyu Patch Reply with quote

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

There is a lot of history and interpretation behind the IsshinRyu patch. Everything from its placement on the gi to the shape has a meaning and encompasses the essence of the IsshinRyu system. There are different interpretations of some objects so I will try my best to cover those where applicable. The point of this article is to provide information and stimulate research. Before I go any further, take a good look at the patch, you'll probably want to refer back to it as you read this article.

Master Tatsuo Shimabuku (founder of IsshinRyu) had a dream. In his vision he heard a man enter the gate of the courtyard and approach him. When the man confronted Shimabuku, he challenged the Master to a fight, but instead of accepting his challenge, Shimabuku waved the man away with his left hand and made a fist over his head with his right hand. Symbolically, Shimabuku put out an open hand, meaning peace, but backed up the peace with a closed fist representing his ability to destroy the stranger if he tried to hurt the Master. (Each kata in IsshinRyu is started with the fist inside of the open hand - open hand for peace, but ready to strike if necessary. Each kata also starts with a block - IsshinRyu is a defensive art.)

Instead of leaving in peace, however, the man encircled the Master in flames and as mysteriously as he appeared, the man disappeared.
This left Master Shimabuku in a rather difficult position, but instead of running about in panic, the Master kept a cool head and used the bucket in the tank to pour water over the flames. Before too long, all the flames were extinguished and so was his dream. The Master awoke.

This left a lasting impression on the Master, so much so that he couldn't get the dream out of his mind. The next day, when he went to Naha (capitol of Okinawa) for business, he entered a great house and there hanging on the wall was a picture of a woman waist deep in water. Immediately he ran to an employee of the building and asked her who that was in the picture. The Master was told that it was Mizu Gami, the Shinto Water Goddess (the position she is in is also in Sunsu, the only pure IsshinRyu kata).

What impressed him most about the picture was that the lady, this Mizu Gami, was in the same stance that he took the night before in his dream against the strange man. Furthermore, Mizu Gami was in water, like he was on the tank and she was using water to extinguish flames in the sea as he used to extinguish flames around his body. The Master came to the realization that water was the symbol of purity, strength and goodness; whereas fire was the symbol of evil, aggression and destruction. What's more, he came to understand that evil can only be destroyed if first one is willing to yield to it with an open hand, tempered with the strength and confidence one achieves through proper karate training.

As the Master discussed the woman's image and how he would like it to somehow represent his karate system, an understanding and creative G. I. who was studying with Master Shimabuku at the time, set out to design and incorporate the Master's thoughts into an emblem. The soldier also did this to honor the Master. The IsshinRyu patch as it is known today is of oval shape to represent the vertical IsshinRyu fist (another variation of the patch is actually in the shape of the vertical fist). In the center is the figure of Mizu Gami (water goddess) and at the top are five stars representing Master Shimabuku and his four teachers: Chojun Miyagi (Goju Ryu), Chotoku Kiyan (Shorin Ryu), Choki Motobu (Shorin Ryu) and Taira Shinken (Kobu-do). (This is the newer version. The older versions of the patch only have 3 stars representing Choki Motobu, Chojun Miyagi, and Chotoku Kiyan - the latest version with 5 stars has been endorsed by Master Angi Uezu, 9th dan IsshinRyu).

The emblem is bordered by orange (sometimes red) signifying the flames that surrounded Shimabuku in his dream. The flames signify evil; the water purity; and the Mizu Gami, the equalizer and it is always worn on your uniform over the heart symbolizing the "One Heart Way". (This is why the patch is worn over the heart). The Japanese writing, or Kanji, says IsshinRyu Karate Kobu-do. The gray background is the storm that is calmed by Mizu Gami (sometimes written Misugami). Above Mizu Gami flies a dragon. The dragon in Eastern mythology represents good fortune. Also, the serpent, like the karateka, is born of the sea (or starting from the bottom, i.e. white belt), and when the dragon matures (or the karateka develops - to black belt) he ascends and achieves attainment.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the submission.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article, stl_karateka, very informative! Thanks.

Sheffield Steelers!

gheinisch
KF VIP

Styles: Hon-Shin-Do - Shodan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Article! Explains it very well. Thanks for the good read.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

longarm25
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Ryu Kyu Te

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice article

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha
but do not reley on them." Musashi

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dragon also represents Tatsu Shimabuku as his nickname was "Dragon Boy." The three stars can also represent a unity of mind, body, and spirit. The shape and position of the patch also represent the verticle fist unique to Isshin-Ryu. This is only what I was told at the beginning of my training, but it was a very complete and very good article. Good work.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

SenseiJMA
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: JDK Taekwondo&Kenpo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that was great!

ShotokanKid
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Shotokan Karate, Judo, FMA/Inosanto Kali

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was pretty interesting. I've actually never seen the patch so thanks for showing me.

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

IRKguy
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Isshinryu (currently), Mu Duk Kwan (years ago)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seiuchin presence of the posture is more obvious. Even obvious enough for me to see it. (After the 2nd 45 degree angle gedan.) Where do you see it in Sunsu?

Also, What do you see as the significance of the yoi in Chinto before the first Kai? For that matter, the yoi in Wansu? It's obvious in Naihatchi and Kusanku, but in Wansu, every bunkai I have seen is lacking.
And do not be attached to inaction.
Bhagvad Gita 2.47

Isshinryu_heart
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Isshinryu, kali, judo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great article!!!

the stars are also in a straight horizontal line - the japanese kanji for one. Isshinryu means "one heart way". Master Shimabuku also said it was because "all things begin with one"

The grey background signifies the unknown.

The patch is actually not of Mizu Gami (the water goddess) it is of Isshinryu no Megami (the Goddess of Isshinryu) The water is purely symbolic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: