Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing at all. Any mark or outward sign that could even remotely be associated with being a “tough guy” or involvement in with martial arts is painstakingly avoided.

Shizentai
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Symbols, logos, on apparel- Do you "advertise" Reply with quote

JazzKicker wrote:
Yin-Yang symbols, dragons, tigers, eagles, association logos and such.

Do you wear or display them in "civilian" life, like on a T-shirt, etc? Do they affirm your identity as a martial artist, or are they pretentious or likely to get you in trouble?

I used to when I was younger, but now not so much.

I actually accumulated so many karate t-shirts that I don't wear over the years that I made a queen sized quilt out of them recently.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few items. I have a coat with our Sun Yi's Academy logo on the back and my name on one of the chests on the front. I have another coat, a hoodie, and several T-shirts that depict our university defensive tactics club, a few Krav shirts from my DT courses through them, and a shirt I got from my training course with Royce.

In my community, wearing these around doesn't pose much of a problem for me. I don't frequent drinking establishments all that often, so I don't typically worry about the places I am when I'm wearing these things. Quite often I wear them for training or workouts.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I have a few items. I have a coat with our Sun Yi's Academy logo on the back and my name on one of the chests on the front. I have another coat, a hoodie, and several T-shirts that depict our university defensive tactics club, a few Krav shirts from my DT courses through them, and a shirt I got from my training course with Royce.

In my community, wearing these around doesn't pose much of a problem for me. I don't frequent drinking establishments all that often, so I don't typically worry about the places I am when I'm wearing these things. Quite often I wear them for training or workouts.

Is it possible that within your community that you're well known as a LEO as well as a MAist; anyone in your community won't hassle you if your wore MA apparel around town. The first thing I'd notice, if I lived in your community, and I wasn't a MAist, is that you're a LEO, and I don't want to go to jail for being stupid. Second thing I'd notice is that you're a BB in TKD, and I don't want to get my head handed to be for being stupid and dumb, all at the same time.

Respect goes along, long way...so does common sense!!

That would also apply with Alex, tallgeese, too, if I lived in his community!!

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

Is it possible that within your community that you're well known as a LEO as well as a MAist; anyone in your community won't hassle you if your wore MA apparel around town. The first thing I'd notice, if I lived in your community, and I wasn't a MAist, is that you're a LEO, and I don't want to go to jail for being stupid. Second thing I'd notice is that you're a BB in TKD, and I don't want to get my head handed to be for being stupid and dumb, all at the same time.

Respect goes along, long way...so does common sense!!

That would also apply with Alex, tallgeese, too, if I lived in his community!!

To the bold: People with this mentality are clearly not the problem.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Trailer_Ape
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Funky and Fresh

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guilty! I also sport NRA and other firearms related apparel. I have all sorts of "warning labels" on me

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just never got into the stereotypical MA clothing - kanji, tigers, dragons, yin-yang, etc. It was big in the 80s for a little while, and IMO a lot of the 80s should stay in the 80s. Except mullets. And Soul-Glo. And Soul-Glo mullets like Ice Cube had in Boyz N the Hood. That stuff never gets old

I’ve got 2 t-shirts. One nice one from Bulltahr’s dojo (thanks again Bulltahr!), and one from mine. It’s our dojo’s 30th anniversary this year and we’re going to have new t-shirts made. Everyone likes the idea of ripping off Bullthar’s dojo’s shirt, so we’ll most do that then I’ll send one to him.

I’ve been meaning to buy a few Cobra Kai t-shirts for a while now. Way before the series became a thing.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe in some places it is a generation thing as well as a matter of personal taste, but there are a few martial arts people who find it(wearing logos etc) both in poor taste as well as a form of showing off.

Personally anything that would stand out in a crowd or be a distinct feature is a bad idea. Looking as average as average can be is the safest way to go to avoid being annoyed, pestered or targeted. Unless everyone else is wearing martial arts related apparel, then go with the flow.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth I went to the UFC Fight Night this weekend in Liverpool. Majority of people we saw had UFC or MA shirts on, even if they didn't train. No one in the bars and clubs after seemed to care.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
For what its worth I went to the UFC Fight Night this weekend in Liverpool. Majority of people we saw had UFC or MA shirts on, even if they didn't train. No one in the bars and clubs after seemed to care.

Solid post!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: