Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Systema self defence? Reply with quote

How does your chosen style hold up to Systema, regarding self defense?

Systema MA is based on bio-body-mechanics, developed originally for the Russian military.

I personally believe that no one MA styles holds the key to having the best techniques for self defense, yet all styles teach a type of self defense, realistically which MA style would you recommend for the public to invest their time in?

Could Russian systema be what the public need as a realistic self defense or are all MA styles created equal without making distinctions?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imho, I believe that the question might be better asked...How does the practitioner of said style hold up against any style?? After all, imho, all of the fault...all of the blame...goes to the practitioner, and not the style.

I hold up quite well to the practitioner that stands before me!! I don't fight the style, but the practitioner!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Imho, I believe that the question might be better asked...How does the practitioner of said style hold up against any style?? After all, imho, all of the fault...all of the blame...goes to the practitioner, and not the style.

I hold up quite well to the practitioner that stands before me!! I don't fight the style, but the practitioner!!

Actually I fight the style, it's quicker that way!
I think it was Bruce Lee that said something like "Don't try to Box a Boxer" as in meaning, don't fight a person in their own style.

And yes; proof is on the floor, from my own experience.

Some/many/most people are far too inexperienced to be fighting other styles than their own.

As Systema is not a popular topic to discuss, I thought it might be worth a shot to talk about it with fellow maists.

Also with Karate being the predominant and dominant style on board this vessel perhaps a discussion on other styles would be a little more refreshing and enlightening that are none Asiatic based; just for a change?

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Systema self defence? Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
How does your chosen style hold up to Systema, regarding self defense?

Systema MA is based on bio-body-mechanics, developed originally for the Russian military.

I personally believe that no one MA styles holds the key to having the best techniques for self defense, yet all styles teach a type of self defense, realistically which MA style would you recommend for the public to invest their time in?

Could Russian systema be what the public need as a realistic self defense or are all MA styles created equal without making distinctions?

I cant say I've seen anything impressive from systema. It looks like a regular run of the mill RBSD type thing to me. A style is not valid unless proven otherwise- the claimer has to have proof. In this sense if someone is to claim that systema is an effective system they must present proof.

I dont recommend anything to the public for self defense. An exceptionally small window of people are actually open to facts and debate and the rest are clouded in their own delusions, not unlike religious people. If you're honest and truthfull, you'll find something practical.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if in the near future, martial art computer simulators would be unbiased with their findings of what techniques and styles work best.

Or would it just start a new debate on which simulations are better than others?

Perhaps fight simulators would need to battle it out amongst themselves and leave the humans out of it.
UFP

The "Ultimate Fighting Pixels" Championship of the Wooorrllld!

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
I wonder if in the near future, martial art computer simulators would be unbiased with their findings of what techniques and styles work best.

Or would it just start a new debate on which simulations are better than others?

Perhaps fight simulators would need to battle it out amongst themselves and leave the humans out of it.
UFP

The "Ultimate Fighting Pixels" Championship of the Wooorrllld!

You give way too much credit to the human species. Here we are in the 21st century and we're still waging wars to argue about which bronze age god you'll visit when you die.

There is also a flat earth society.... let that one sink in for a bit.

And imagine if you could go back in time and explain your new iphone to someone in 1880:

"Here I have a device that can access any and all information world wide in a matter of seconds with a swipe of my hand. I spend the majority of my time with it uploading photos of my cat and my lunch...."

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's technology is yesterdays magic.
Today's Sci-fi is tomorrows reality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: