Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Lars
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know anything about Tae Kwon Do? I spoke with a girl from Sweden which had tried it for a day, and she said her leg muscles were so tired that she could barely walk!

I have seen a couple of performances, and I think it looks quite cool when they kick multiple targets in one jump! Very impressive indeed!

jdash
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Tae Kwon Do, is the main style that I study...you are right, it includes a lot more use of the feet/legs in kicks, etc. then something like Judo/Ju-jitsu (which makes use of flex points, wrists, nerves, and uses techniques to 'subdue' an opponent then actually kill him like, throws, etc.) it is actually a lot of fun. You will find that some kind of martial arts that is or is a 'relative' of Tae Kwon Do is what you usually see in the movies because as you saidit 'looks cool.' As for your legs it makes use of muscles that you don't use for much else, so until you get used to it, it does hurt (but pain is a part of success in martial arts).

James Dasher
[url]jamesdasher@dashermarketing.com[/url]
http://www.dashermarketing.com

[ This Message was edited by: jamesdasher on 2001-05-24 15:44 ]

Lars
KF VIP

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have seen some guys that have been going to it, and their legs look like pro soccer player's legs. I bet they can really pack a powerful blow in those legs!

I have thought about begínning to it, but I don't have enough time and energy for anymore sports than I have already.

[ This Message was edited by: Lars on 2001-05-25 08:08 ]

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taekwon do is the way of the foot and hand. in other words it is the art of foot and hand fighting. being that taekwondo is 75% leg work the legs can become very tired after a work out. but with time the will become very strong and fast in attack situations.

respect both yourself and others.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

jdash
KF VIP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm...I don't know that I would agree that Tae Kwon Do is 75/25% with a greater emphasis on the leg work...while the leg work is important, so is the hand/arm...without a well delivered punch, strike, etc. you will have a hard time 'winning' a fight. Legs are important but I would probably say it is a 50/50% rather than 75/25%

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok then i agree to disagree; how about 65/35%. not to be to technical about this.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

jdash
KF VIP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, while we are on the subject here is why I would still say 50/50 while you can put up a pretty good fight with leg work if you know what you are doing...if a person has any fighting skill he will immediately move inside of your range and 'jam' you...making it impossible for you to kick him unless you can get away...therefore, your leg work becomes useless, what then? that is why I say it is 50/50 both are important; both have their reasons, and both have their points, strengths, and weaknesses, and times for use. Work the leg work develop your strength but don't forget the hands...they can be your lifesaver in a situation, or your death without the use of them.

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2001 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes sir i agree...........hand techniques are very important to the martial artist however taekwondo specializes in kicking so therefore i stand as above.

thank you for allowing me to express my views.

jdash
KF VIP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2001 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I study Tae Kwon Do as my main 'art' as well, and I guess it would depend on who you are and where you go as to how much 'pressure' is put on the legs compared to the hands, I would say it is even in the Dojo that I study at.

Don1DBB-ATA
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2001 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, sirs and ma'ams: I would tend to agree with 75-25%. At least in my style it seems that way.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: