Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

pdbnb
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Taekwondo Kick-Boxing? Reply with quote

What is this? Is it like Thai boxing?

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've experienced it its just the Combinations taught in TKD without the Forms or Patterns.

But it could be a Korean version of Japanese Kick Boxing as Koreans have versions of almost every Japanese art or is it the other way around?

kensei
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean martial arts have been doing this for a dogs age. They are great at seeing an opening in a market and then jumping on it!

We had a Dojoang in my town that opened up with a real Korean master that moved to Canada to "take over Canadian TKD" problem is he picked the center of Canada and did not know that the real power players in Canada are in Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver!

His first year he was billed as the most traditional TKD in Manitoba! He also wanted to look rich and important so he BOUGHT a Limo and had decals put on it, really nice, had a proffesional looking driver and everything to drive him from his home to the club and park it out front! Great....Made no money.....Back to drawing board

...came out as Korean KUNG FU!....had some big long Korean sounding name and billed it as the Original Korean Kung fu....he had to lay off the Limo driver and put new decals on the car....Drove the car himself and even wore the hat while driving and I swear to goodness that he jumped in the back and got out the door with out the hat on and acted like he was the passenger.......Made no money...had egg on face...back to drawing board...

Next year was the most powerful KOREN KARATE! and billed it as the most exciting version of Korean Karate in Canada...he sold the limo and bought a minivan and wrapped it in a great sign and "expanded his clubs" into community centers to help pay the high rent down town....he also put on demos and told everyone how he was a high ranking Korean Karate black belt...never said anything about TKD even though the certificates were in Korean and from the Korean organization.....Lost more money....back to drawing board.

The next year he came out with Hapkido instructors certificates and told everyone....wait for it.....they were teaching Korean Judo/Aikido! This worked for a heart beat and...he lost money...let his lease on the down town club go and moved all his interests into the community club programs.

Last I saw of this gent...who by the way was in great shape and had great Tae Kwon Do....he was teaching Korean MMA and mixing the TKD and Hapkido along with teaching things he sees on the UFC!

Nothing wrong with creative marketing but to change your style to suit your marketing needs is kind of like building the road to match the bridge or buildign a car around the tires!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are we talking about here TKD-Kickboxing as a style? I'd imagine that it was just the kicks and punches taken from TKD and all the rest of the style left behind. But if all you wanted from your Martial Art was just kicks and punches why not just do kickboxing itself as TKD-kickboxing probably doesn't offer anything better.

pdbnb
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
What are we talking about here TKD-Kickboxing as a style? I'd imagine that it was just the kicks and punches taken from TKD and all the rest of the style left behind. But if all you wanted from your Martial Art was just kicks and punches why not just do kickboxing itself as TKD-kickboxing probably doesn't offer anything better.

I was just curious about what constituted this style, as my local school offers it. If I take (regular) Taekwondo, maybe I can use it for sparring? Then again, according to my instructor, it's mostly kids there, and even though I'm scrawny FOR AN ADULT, it'll still be unfairly matched if that is the case.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its a more focused outlet for more experienced TKDers looking for some competition that isn't MMA based. Give it a look. Might be worth checking out.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kensei wrote:
Korean martial arts have been doing this for a dogs age. They are great at seeing an opening in a market and then jumping on it!

We had a Dojoang in my town that opened up with a real Korean master that moved to Canada to "take over Canadian TKD" problem is he picked the center of Canada and did not know that the real power players in Canada are in Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver!

His first year he was billed as the most traditional TKD in Manitoba! He also wanted to look rich and important so he BOUGHT a Limo and had decals put on it, really nice, had a proffesional looking driver and everything to drive him from his home to the club and park it out front! Great....Made no money.....Back to drawing board

...came out as Korean KUNG FU!....had some big long Korean sounding name and billed it as the Original Korean Kung fu....he had to lay off the Limo driver and put new decals on the car....Drove the car himself and even wore the hat while driving and I swear to goodness that he jumped in the back and got out the door with out the hat on and acted like he was the passenger.......Made no money...had egg on face...back to drawing board...

Next year was the most powerful KOREN KARATE! and billed it as the most exciting version of Korean Karate in Canada...he sold the limo and bought a minivan and wrapped it in a great sign and "expanded his clubs" into community centers to help pay the high rent down town....he also put on demos and told everyone how he was a high ranking Korean Karate black belt...never said anything about TKD even though the certificates were in Korean and from the Korean organization.....Lost more money....back to drawing board.

The next year he came out with Hapkido instructors certificates and told everyone....wait for it.....they were teaching Korean Judo/Aikido! This worked for a heart beat and...he lost money...let his lease on the down town club go and moved all his interests into the community club programs.

Last I saw of this gent...who by the way was in great shape and had great Tae Kwon Do....he was teaching Korean MMA and mixing the TKD and Hapkido along with teaching things he sees on the UFC!

Nothing wrong with creative marketing but to change your style to suit your marketing needs is kind of like building the road to match the bridge or buildign a car around the tires!

This sounds like one guy, not every Korean stylist to come along. This guy messed up. He just happened to be Korean.

Dmitriy
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: it's like mostly kicking, but it's very effective Reply with quote

I love tae kwon do, I am a brown belt...
Now I am taking karate and I have a green belt in that.
Thanks for reading my message.

pdbnb
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my school, it just means one/one and a half hours of an intense warm-up followed by free sparring. No movements, no forms, just conditioning and sparring. We did one of those at the regular TKD class once. It was super-tiring but somewhat gratifying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: