Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Billy Jack
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to work, I have a limited time available (2 nights per week. Maybe 3 on occasion). I would like to get "rooted and grounded" in one system, with the option to branch out in the future if I choose. There are a million taekwondo dojangs in my area, compared to only 1 quality Hapkido dojang, where taekwondo is also taught. I am told the instructor is much harder and demanding on Hapkido students than Taekwondo students, and it takes far longer to achieve 1st Dan with Hapkido. My solution? Pick the best taekwondo school in my area. Immerse myself in taekwondo with the goal of achieving black belt within 4 years. Then, if I choose, I can take hapkido because the kicks, punches, and strikes will be related. Everybody says that Hapkido is better than Taekwondo for self-defense; however, I have a belt in nothing right now. I'm thinking that a green belt in taekwondo from a great instructor will dramatically improve my self defense ability. What do you experts think?

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hapikido is pretty sweet, although you have to be willing to be thrown around a lot. I'd see what kind of qualifications each school has, take a free lesson from each school, then make a choice. The choice is yours... based on rates, respect, and facility you should be able to make an accurate choice.

Nice name BTW, that movie is good.

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really speak for Hapkido however in my experience Taekwondo being one of the newer martial arts is not set in it's ways and is an excellent base martial art from which to approach other martial arts.

I know many people who once they have reached Black belt level in TKD have gone away and stolen bits of other martial arts then applied them to Taekwondo.

Taekwondo has a little bit of everything. and will give you an insight into Kicks, punches, kicks, Grappling, Self defence, kicks, pressure points, locks and kicks. It's also a well known kicking martial art!

Don't know how our UK styles of TKD compare to yours.

Bretty

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started off with hap ki do and now i'm in tae kwon do. I switched because i didn't enjoy learning a lot of "joint lock" techniques. I wanted to kick and be more offensive. That's my own personal preference. When choosing a martial art, know what your purpose is in trainning and what you expect to learn. Sure you can jump around from each martial arts and learn bits and pieces from each. I've been cross-trainning in different styles for a long time. However, i've come to the point that i have to commit to one art and grow in that art. It takes a life time to truly experience the fruits of one martial art.

Based on what you've said, it seems to me you want a more defensive style with some kicks. MIght as well do Hap Ki do now instead of tae kwon do, if you're going to do hap ki do in the future. If you still want to do TKD, join an International Tae kwon do Federation club since they are more defensive compared to the World federation club.

[ This Message was edited by: koreantiger81 on 2002-04-21 06:08 ]

TKDMASTER
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tkd,jujitsu,kung fu,judo,little akidio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its your choice man. But if it was i def go tkd.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take Hapkido...It doesn't matter if it takes longer to archive a black belt.. is the belt more important than the Art itself?.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: