Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

GEO
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Well after stopping my taekwondo training for almost a year and a half now after achieving black belt standing, its time for me to go back.

Originally i wanted to do taekwondo again, because i love korean martial arts but then i was thinking maybe try something else. But the thing is when i fight i use mainly kicks, without kicks...hehe i dunno wut i am I wanted to try hapkido....does it use a lot of kicks too...high kicks, jumping kicks ?? what are the main differences between the two....is it common for hapkido schools to compete in tournys ??

Advantages ?? Disadvantages ?? plz help, any input is appreciated.

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, GEO! If you would, post an introduction in the Introductions forum and say hi to everyone.

If you're wanting to stay in the Korean arts, you might look at Kuk Sool Won, or if you want to stay closer to your TKD roots, maybe Tang Soo Do.

I'm not 100% sure about hapkido, but as KSW has similarities to that system (and because it's a Korean system period), I'd say there's probably a fair bit of kicking involved.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Chris from CT
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Jung Ki Hapkido, Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, GEO.
Hapkido is different depending on the teacher/organization/style that you train in or with. Some styles use alot of kicks and some do not. Hapkido (Yawara, Hapkiyusul, etc.)originally, as taught by Choi Yong Sul, was very close to Aiki Jujitsu because that's what he learned (Daito Ryu Aiki Jujitsu). It had only a little kicking. GM Ji, Han Jae's style of "Sin Moo" Hapkido has a great amount of kicks in it, but no matter where you train in Hapkido you will do much more than that.

That's great that you are good with your kicks and want to get into closer range fighting. Hapkido is great for that! Not only do you learn to destroy from the inside, you also learn to control from the inside also. It's nice to have the option.

Hapkido was never meant to be a sport so you won't see too much as far as Hapkido tournaments. Points mean nothing when you are fighting for your life.

Wherever you train, enjoy it.

Take care

[ This Message was edited by: Chris from CT on 2002-05-15 06:38 ]

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took you a year and a half to get a black belt?

Did you read the "Black Belt for Dummies: 1 year Black belt" book or something... sounds like a McDojo to me...

Took me that long to get a green belt..

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Karateforums, GEO!

McGee, if you reread his post you may see that he ment that after he attained black belt, he took a year and a half off.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Hapkido-Cougar
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Tae kwon do, i never get to finish it. im only Brown belt. but i didn't like it so i gave up. I think Hapkido is the best, cause i DO hapkido right now and Aikido, i do 2 of them right now! Hapkido,Jiu-Jitsu,Aikido, some others. they're karate good bets!

LightFighterZero
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was thinking about Hapkido too, but then again I was also going to join Shotokan Karate. I heard that Hapkido has the best of punches and kicks of taekwondo and some forms of grappling that are similar to Akido, is this all true?

TKDMASTER
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tkd,jujitsu,kung fu,judo,little akidio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take tkd and i love it. Its all in what your looking for. I also study bjj intensely. I think its good for a person to be well rounded.If your looking for point tournes,then make sure its a olympic one and not traditional. They will deal with point sparring a lot more.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: