Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tai Chi exercises would be truly a welcomed fresh air from the way that Kata/Forms are executed!! Truly, Tai Chi could contain many AHA moments.

Titanium
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado-Kai & Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly one I will try out.
Thanks for your input sensei8.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tai Chi Chaun translated means Grand Ultimate Fist. My teacher had over 40 years experience. He explained to me that TCC has many fighting styles incorporated in it. He would not teach it to people that wanted to use it to fight with. TCC is far deeper than learning how to hurt another human being. It is taught to be a way to improve health instead!

permanentwhitebelt
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Ryu, Tai Chi Chuan

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I train in Tai Chi (and Matsubayashi Shorin Karate) and yes Tai Chi Chuan Taijiquan) does have martial applications and as few before stated; it's really relative to whom is teaching (and what they are teaching)

You can train just forms for health reasons or you can train forms and practical applications.

The practical applications in Tai Chi have focus on Chin Na (seize and control) much like Japanese Jiu Jitsu accept with more focus on not manipulating one joint at time; usually manipulating two joints at the same time....it does have a grappling focus as well and some striking.

Really difficult to find a good teacher, even harder to find one interested in teaching the martial side of it because frankly mostly the elderly and new age hippies gravitate towards Tai Chi so the money isn't in teaching the practical side.

Tai Chi helps with Okinawan/Japanese Karate Kata as well, it makes your movement more deliberate and precise and well for the lack of a better term: "flowing"

If you are interested in the practical side I would suggest checking out Dr. Yang (ymaa.com) he has a youtube channel as well.

Hope this helps

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend cross training Tai Chi with other martial art styles. I simultaneously cross trained Tai Chi with TKD. Won my first gold medal for sparring in a TKD tournament. I owe and credit the win to my Tai Chi Chuan practice. Something many martial artist miss out on knowing or fail to understanding due to never been taught the principal is "STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY" This is what makes the difference between you knowing, practicing and using it's principals and winning and not knowing you will be constantly falling down and losing all your battles. Without structural integrity you are as good as a sitting duck out in the middle of a pond during hunting season. Tai Chi practioners also practice Chi Kung. Tai Chi without Chi Kung practice can lead to flowery movments that look pretty but lack the STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY !!!!!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: