Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Series Game 3 at Citizens Bank Park between the Phillies and the Astros was a one-sided game as far as what the scoreboard showed. Weather was at least not the issue this night.

Astros despite their 5 hits, remained scoreless. On the other hand, the Phillies came out swinging right off the bat, pun intended, 2 runs in the first. another 2 runs in the second. and 3 runs in the fifth inning chalking up 7 runs with 7 hits. Neither team committed any errors. 5 Phillies hits yard; they teed off Astros starter Lance McCullers Jr. right from the gate, and they never stopped teaching an offensive seminar until the game was out of reach for the Astros.

Phillies starter Ranger Suarez had a stellar 5 innings blanketing the Astros attempt to put something on the scoreboard somehow and some way. The Astros wished they hadn't waited went to their well stacked bullpen, and when they finally did, damage was quite evident.

Mccullers refused to go to his fastball but instead he favored his feared breaking balls. He at one time sat down 8 batters in a row. If he was trying to make a point, his intent was not misunderstood whatsoever.

If the Phillies want to win the World Series AT home and not travel back to Houston, they better be on the top of their game, far better than what they displayed in Game 3.

I'm very nervous for Game 4 because the Phillies are going to probably gingerly give the ball to one of their aces, Aaron Nola. But after the rough outing he had in Game 1, I can only pray that the Astros starter. Cristian Javier will have a similar fate like Nola had in start of the World Series. Apples and oranges won't taste the same for me because Javier is one of the best strikeout pitchers in baseball. Just great!!

Like in anything...we'll see what we see when we see it. Boy oh boy am I nervious than a cat on a hot tin roof.

GO PHILLIES!!

GO YANKEES!! Yeah, yeah, yeah, my Yankees are at home and not in the World Series...again.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baseball is an interesting game - i think i saw a stat that McCullers hadn't given up a home run from a breaking ball in 650 off speed pitches thrown this season! Then he gives up 5!

It really is becoming a Velocity game now - the stuff that a lot of the top pitchers have is crazy now. I remember when it was a huge deal that Zumaya could hit 100; the big unit had a scary fastball because it was 97/98. Now it seems everyone decent sits at 97/98!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthPenguin wrote:
Baseball is an interesting game - i think i saw a stat that McCullers hadn't given up a home run from a breaking ball in 650 off speed pitches thrown this season! Then he gives up 5!

It really is becoming a Velocity game now - the stuff that a lot of the top pitchers have is crazy now. I remember when it was a huge deal that Zumaya could hit 100; the big unit had a scary fastball because it was 97/98. Now it seems everyone decent sits at 97/98!

Solid post!!

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting game last night: combined no hitter, only 2nd ever world series no-hitter and the starting pitcher is now the only player ever to be involved in 2 combined no hitters with both of them this year!

This has the feeling of a 7 game series. Will be interesting to see who comes out on top. Alvarez seems to have cooled down a little from the beating he put on my Mariners but if he heats up again that could be the decider!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sat there stunned that the Phillies went from sending bombs in Game 3, to being shut down with a no-hitter. Then again, that's the beauty of baseball.

This means that the Phillies have to return to Minute Maid Park. Not a desired wish on any Astros opponent.

My hats off to the Astros for their no-hitter.

DarthPenguin's post hits the nail right on its head. Going back to Houston might doom the Phillies because the Astros are the dangerous when it comes to being at home with the outcome of the World Series uncertain.

Astros decided that the beatdown that they received in game 3, was due for revenge. Revenge is an understatement because not only did the Astros win 5-0, but they also delivered a no-hitter. OUCH!!

Phillies bats did an impression of Rip Van Winkle. I guess after game 3, Phillies bats went on protest for some much-needed rest. And rest, they did. Now WAKE UP!!

Took the Astros 4 pitchers to earn a historic World Series no-hitter. Javier started for Houston and went six innings, striking out nine. Then, Abreu, Montero and Pressly each followed with one no-hit inning to finish off the Phillies. They combined with a total of 14 strikeouts to even the series, 2-2, and ensure this year’s championship will be decided this weekend back at Minute Maid Park. YUCK!!

As far as the Phillies, there's no much to report except that the closest the Phillies came to a hit was in the third inning, when Schwarber grounded a hard foul past first base...A FOUL BALL...YIKES. On fair balls, forget about it.

Well, here comes game 4. Watch this game be a fast sleeper of a game....OR...a bomb fest for both teams. Regardless, this World Series is heading to Houston whether the Phillies like that or not.

GO PHILLIES!!

GO YANKEES!!

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verlander got his long overdue WS win last night then. Have to favour the Astros to win it now - can't see them not going at least 1-1 in 2 games with the Phillies.

I'm quite conflicted on the Astros: on one hand they are clearly one of the best teams over the last 10 years but then they did have that cheating scandal.

Cheating in baseball is a funny one: some cheating is accepted but some isn't it seems like. The steroid players get vilified for cheating (which they did) but there are several hall of famers who openly cheated (and admit it): whether it was spitballs; , marking the ball; using tar etc on ball; taking amphetamines to perform better (can't see how this is different to steroids personally) and many more (i think someone admitted to corking their bat but not 100% on that one).

It almost seems like cheating is fine unless it is betting related (totally understandable) or steroid related. Part of me would like to see them go back through the hall of fame and asterisk all the players that were found to have cheated in the other ways - for consistency.

I'm not a fan of cheating but i don't see how you can selectively exclude some but not others.

Anyway that was a bit of a tangent! Will be interesting to see the rest of the series.

Also, if the Phillies lose i wonder if they will continue to spend massively to try to get over the hump: Judge is available and Ohtani might be too!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaaarrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

That's how I feel after watching Game 5 last night.

3-2 Final. This type of score is more usual than not.

Back to Houston...once again...YUCK!! More than likely, the roof will be closed at Minute Maid but they'll open the roof in order to release the crowds very loud cheers IF the Astros strike gold.

Pena became the very first rookie to go yard in the World Series as a shortstop. For a rookie, Pena has made a mark towards a possible MVP.

Astros hang on 3-2, one win away from World Series title. Here we are once again where the Phillies MUST win Game 6 and Game 7. Whereas the Astros seem to be in the driver's seat quite comfortably knowing that they're knocking on the door of their 2nd World Series title.

Astros sent out to the mound Pressly in the top of the 9th, and what does he do?? He does what closers do...3 up...3 down. Kind of reminded me of Mo.

No matter what a team does to close the gap, getting close is nice but not nice enough. By the 8th inning, the Phillies got much closer to tying up the score, but close isn't enough.

Respect begats respect and I must take my hat off to Verlander. Yes, he struggled but he battled through it and came out smelling like a rose. Both teams' bats were cooled down thanks to some great starting pitching by each team's respective starting pitching rotation.

Having plenty of rest, Wheeler for the Phillies will more than likely be the starting pitcher for the Phillies. Valdez, with his postseason dominance, post likely be the starting pitcher for the Astros.

Game 6 this Saturday at 8pm.

GO PHILLIES!!

GO YANKEES!!

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're in the top of the 8th. It's looking like the trophy is going to be in Texas this year!

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
We're in the top of the 8th. It's looking like the trophy is going to be in Texas this year!
That's what I was starting to think....

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astros take it!

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 20 of 30
Jump to: