Add KarateForums.com
DWx is Leaving Our Staff After 16 Years!
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if they could come away with WS titles in a 5 or 6 year span, that would tip the scales into a dynasty. Got to have those world titles to really get that dynasty tag.

DarthPenguin
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I think if they could come away with WS titles in a 5 or 6 year span, that would tip the scales into a dynasty. Got to have those world titles to really get that dynasty tag.

Apologies, i can't resist this one, as a non American i have to point out that they have zero world titles, they have North American titles. Not disputing that they are the worlds best team but until/unless they beat the other international champs they can't be world champs.

Is similar to the soccer/football Champions League winners. They are the worlds best team as the European leagues are the best, but they don't become world champ until they win the club World Cup, as no matter the skill disparity there is still always a chance for the underdog to win! (witness the dodgers losing pre WS!)

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you are saying, but they are still world champions. Until the Japanese leagues, or the Korean leagues, or the Latin American leagues reach out to challenge the World Series winners, I won't concede. I think there is good talent that comes from those leagues, but that talent is always looking to come to MLB.

When it comes to soccer, I can see your point. It is much more established as a world game, with lots of talent throughout, and they have a process set up to allow all of those leagues to compete with each other. And there are just so many different leagues, too. So it's different.

I'd feel the same about football, or I guess I could refer to it as American football. If some other organization wants to challenge the World Champs from the NFL to a game to decide the winner, then that would be great. But the best football talent in the world is in the NFL already. I would contend that the best college team wouldn't stand a change against the worst NFL team. So again, I would hold my stance on the Astros being World Champs.

To each their own.

DarthPenguin
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No disputing that they are the best team in the world, as are the NBA champs, NFL champs etc.

The best players also play in MLB (usually) but there can be shocks.

Easy example is my soccer/football team. I follow Glasgow Rangers and last season they were the losing finalists in the second biggest european club tournament but they are nowhere near being amongst the best teams in Europe (as they showed with their poor showing this time).

I've always quite liked the North American model where it in essence combines the two types of combinations we have over here: typically we have a long league season with one or two knockout competitions (cup competions). The regular season then playoffs covers that by saying that the knock out is most important but restricting it to qualified teams.

The system itself says that in effect anyone can win (the whole any given sunday thing), otherwise the regular season winner would get the title awarded.

Would the MLB winner beat the other winners? Yes in reality 99/100 but they still have to do it to be the world champion rather than just the worlds best team. To use a combat sports analogy: Charles Oliveira (pre recent defeat) was the best LW but not the champion officially; Jon Jones during his LHW absences was the consensus best LHW but wasn't the champ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Page 22 of 22
Jump to: