Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

taichi4eva
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally practiced WTF Taekwondo and got a 2nd degree black belt in that martial art. I had to quit due to the distance. After some time, I picked up some Hung Gar (Gung Gee Fook Fu and Tiger Crane) and have learned the first two forms of the style.

Does anyone out there think studying both Kung Fu and Taekwondo is a good thing? Do you think someone in my situation should practice both styles regularly?

Any comments would be welcome.

Ti-Kwon-Leap
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is one person on this board who would advise you not to take Kung Fu at this point in your training, unless you felt you were spreading yourself too thin and therefore not giving full attention to the discipline you are learning as opposed to the one you are perfecting.
HOWEVER...
There may be a few people on this board who will try to get you to take muay thai or some other useless crap like BJJ.... (Calm down guys, only kidding)
Seriously though, learning different styles at this stage will do you nothing but good.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to disagree. Each martial art has its own way of dealing with each situation. Confusing yourself with foreign techniques would not be a good idea. Remain pure to one martial art. Thats only my opinion ofcourse. But if I had to choose, it would always be Gung Fu.

Be Well

taichi4eva
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Hung Gar and TKD complement each other. TKD is very stiff and practical, while Hung Gar is a little more flowing and requires a little more finesse.

Kensai, what style(s) do you practice?

Thanks for the comments so far.

Ti-Kwon-Leap
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon Kensai, please explain how a 2nd degree blackbelt is going to get "confused" by learning a second discipline.
Thats like saying that learning to snowboard would somehow "confuse" a veteran skier.

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that my knowledge of kung fu complements my knowledge of WTF tkd perfectly. Kung fu involves many circular hand motions and integrated handwork while tkd focuses on legwork and stepping. Even though there is overlapping (i.e. kung fu includes kicking, forms, weapons, etc.), it shouldn't matter because after one has a foundation in one art, they should be able to adapt and distinguish and use their own discretion.

I studied traditional kung fu and a little bit of modern wushu before moving on to WTF taekwondo and I have no regrets

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing martial arts to "snowboards and skiers" is alittle rash. I am sure that you have great abilities. Also what I said was only my humble opinion. That a person should only study one art, if one studys many then the purity of the art is lost, when he/she perhaps teachs. That is what I am thinking of, sorry Ti Kwon was not doubting your abilities.

taichi, I study Ki Aikido. I only need the one martial art, have enough difficulties with that.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya taichi4eva,

My school teaches both WTF TKD and Shaolin Kung fu, and us TKD students learn a bit of kung fu, and no one seems to be having a problem with it, so I don't see anything wrong with it

Ti-Kwon-Leap
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kensai, you don't have to be concerned with offending me, I'm a big boy.
The path of a TKD practitioner after blackbelt is one of perfecting and applying the basics to bring their awareness and abilities to new levels. It sounded like taichi4eva feels like he is at a plateau and is seeking new challenges.
While I would not advise him to give up on TKD altogether, I think learning Kung Fu may renew his interest and may even cause him to gain a deeper understanding of TKD in general.
I do not believe Kung Fu will in any way do anything but to add to his expressing himself as a martial artist.

I would be hesitant to advise a beginner/intermediate student to study two different disciplines simultaneously that is of course unless his goal is to be a hack or just "beat people up".

That is not to say, however that there aren't individuals capable of learning two arts at once....but they would be the exception, rather than the rule.

taichi4eva
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Karatekid, would you mind telling us what shaolin forms you practice?

Maybe I'm in the wrong forum
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: