Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Talent vs Experience Reply with quote

Had a conversation with a fellow maist, he had a concern.

He couldn't figure it out, why he couldn't beat me when sparring.

He felt that I should not be a problem for him but I was.

I considered him to be talented maist but that wasn't enough.

Having a considerable amount more experience than him, he finally came to the conclusion that I wasn't better than him, just that I have more experience.

Therefore if you are talented don't let those with more experience discourage you, they just might know more that's all.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Talent vs Experience Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Had a conversation with a fellow maist, he had a concern.

He couldn't figure it out, why he couldn't beat me when sparring.

He felt that I should not be a problem for him but I was.

I considered him to be talented maist but that wasn't enough.

Having a considerable amount more experience than him, he finally came to the conclusion that I wasn't better than him, just that I have more experience.

Therefore if you are talented don't let those with more experience discourage you, they just might know more that's all.

If he couldn't beat you, how exactly was he better than you? Does his technique look prettier?

Just because one can make a kata look flawless doesn't mean one knows what the movements mean, nor how to actually apply them under any amount of resistance. I'm sure you could teach an accomplished ballet dancer a very advanced kata and how to punch and kick quite quickly, and it'll look phenomenal too. That doesn't mean for a second that said dancer will be able to defend him/herself.

It doesn't matter how pretty nor ugly it looks. What matters is that it can be used appropriately when needed. The more you train, the more experience you get. Hopefully it's the right experience. There's no substitute for experience.

All IMO.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than more talented, could you say more athletic?

Athletic guys who are stronger and faster tend to do pretty well against most even though they might not understand or be the most technical. There comes a point though where knowledge and experience outweighs athletic ability.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 and DWx could both be right.

Being younger being more athletic and stronger can be viewed as more talented in comparison to an experienced fighter.

As for techniques looking more prettier, more like sharper or stiff, leaving the moves hanging or posing, like going through the motions without understanding the need for defensive spontaneity with some, bobin duckin or weavin; there are those that go the other way and over do this also.

Expertise is knowing when to do the "right" thing at the "right" time.

Doing the "right" things at the "wrong" time looks good, shows talent but lacking the experience to win against an experienced opponent.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Rather than more talented, could you say more athletic?

Athletic guys who are stronger and faster tend to do pretty well against most even though they might not understand or be the most technical. There comes a point though where knowledge and experience outweighs athletic ability.

Good points here, Danielle. Being strong and athletic can make up for a lack of experience (but not totally).

I'd say that experience comes with time, but that isn't necessarily true. It comes with time and opportunities. These opportunities can present themselves in different ways; experience through sparring (in class, at a tournament, or in the ring), experience through cross-training, and experience through real-world encounters (actual self-defense, fights, line-of-work duties like LEOs or military or personal protection services). These aren't the only ways to gain experience, but I think they point out what I'm trying to say. Experience gained over time like this will always be of benefit when it comes to the younger, more athletic crowd.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes a particular set of skills in order to be effective during sparring, like speed, reaction time, technique, distancing and timing. A "talented" individual may have better speed and reaction time than the more experienced, but the more experience have learnt exactly when to use those skills at the right time, he can be as fast and as athletic as he wants but if he hasn't learnt how to use it then he will lose against the more experienced.

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An experienced fighter can read an opponent like a book.

A talented kicker for instance isn't ready to deal with an experienced counter striker that has learned to deal with every conceivable attack.

My game is usually to put the opponent on the defense but not enough to encourage the counter offense.

I like to create tension and uncertainty in the opponent by being fast with combinations and unpredictable from where they came from.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experience can crush talent, but a person with experience doesn't want to do this, especially from a mature person's perspective.

Talent needs nurturing, encouragement and support from others.

The talented also needs other important aspects such as self sacrifice, dedication and hard work.

The talented need to be hungry for success, goal orientated and have a strong sense of self belief.

Talent should be nurtured by the experienced and not the destroyer of it.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One can't have the iota of talent without the prerequisite of first having heaps of experience, therefore, the distinction is of paramount importance; it’s tantamount to being experienced or talented.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talent, physical gifts, can exist independent of experience. Experience will hone and refine over the course of time, and talent will become more helpful.

The key is to not let talent make you lazy and just assume it will always get your through.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: