Add KarateForums.com
VOTING OPEN! KarateForums.com Awards 2019!
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Internal Arts and Philosophy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Radok
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate-do

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that ki is real, beacause some Zen monks went into the mountains (30-40 degrees) and went right to sleep with only a sheet, with spring clothes on. Also, I have trained in chi gong and I believe it works.

Deathcometh
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is real.

p0w777
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: none

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and uhhh there is a trick to that melted metal thing where u put your hand in it......... poeple showed me how to do it..... u soak ur hands in ice water for 10 or whatever minutes and put it in....... it will feel like candle wax..... so if u really want them to show off their chi... tell them to leave their hands in for an hour...lol[/code]

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the problems with any discussion of Qi. I believe in it, I work with it, I feel functionally no depictions on these pages (at least these last couple) have anything do do with it.

Bending spoons, sleeping in snow, firewalking, whatever are not examples of qi. They are parlor tricks.

The problem is that one sees so many false claims that one dismisses the whole idea.

Ghost-Ranger
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Indeeeeeeeed Reply with quote

The Way i like to look at things like this is we dont understand it, now some of us will be begging for the answer whether its true or not others will dismiss it and some will embrace it while others will simply be facsinated but nothing more.

In My experience id have to say that yes there is an internal energy in us all ive seen it ive fealt it, on a few occassions where i cant understand how i survived something or came off without a scratch. but im not asking you to believe it unless you want to...

With such a diverstity of people theres no point trying to persuade each and every one to believe or not believe in this strength, i think we should all be glad that there are still things we dont understand in life, after all if there wasnt then wouldnt life be a bit on the dull side?

:)Petey:)

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure but i belive more then i dont belive.

SunZhishen
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Taekwondo, Junsado, Kungfu, Qigong, Taijiquan, Muay Thai, Hapkido, Jujutsu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: *smacks head against wall several times* Reply with quote

Ghewww!

*takes a deep breath and calms down*

You people seem to have forgotten one MAJOR thing: There is no DIRECT, CORRECT English translation of Chi! There are many reasons for this, too:

1) Korea, Japan, and China have different major definitions of Chi/Ki.

2) The Chinese alone, in the ""Yellow Emperor Classic of Inner Medicine", have listed 32 different types of Chi!

3) Greedy money-monglers try to make Chi seem more than it really is in order to sell "Ultimate Martial Arts Techniques".

4) Some people mistake anime Chi for real Chi.

In China, there are 32 different types of Chi and due to the many different ways you can get your point across whan you translate complicated Chinese philosphy, things can get confusing. I perfer Da Liu's interpretation of Chi, myself: Chi, in the physical sense, is the energy that you get from oxygen and food. In martial arts applications, tis the oxygenated blood from Chi Breathing and the state-of-mind a person using Chi has that causes an ultra-powerful Kiai or "hardened fists and feet".

In Japan, Ki is seen as your spirit (as in your overall state-of-mind). In Aikido, your state-of-mind is essential to many of the techniques. With the correct spirit, you can perform amazing feats.

Chi Kung and Taijuquan are all about body-mind unification. You use the physical, scientifically-proven-to-exist energies from things like breathing and eating along with the proper state-of-mind to keep yourself healthy as well as perform amazing feats.

How some people can create the feeling of a "Chi Ball" between their hands or "transmit Ki" in Reiki, I don't exactly know. I wish I knew. But the rest is what I do know.

Chi is not JUST a metaphysical force. That is just one of the many types of Chi. Whether you actually believe that form of Chi exists or not is up to you. But I hope you people do believe in food and oxygen.

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You people seem to have forgotten one MAJOR thing: There is no DIRECT, CORRECT English translation of Chi!
"Breath" (literal), "Energy" (correct implication)

Quote:
In China, there are 32 different types of Chi
List them please.

Quote:
In martial arts applications, tis the oxygenated blood from Chi Breathing and the state-of-mind a person using Chi has that causes an ultra-powerful Kiai or "hardened fists and feet".
Are you having trouble staying in one language? "Kiai" is clearly not Chinese.

Quote:
In Japan, Ki is seen as your spirit (as in your overall state-of-mind). In Aikido, your state-of-mind is essential to many of the techniques. With the correct spirit, you can perform amazing feats.
Nope, same useage. A=harmonious (belnding), Ki=breath (energy), Do=path (way)

Quote:
Chi Kung and Taijuquan are all about body-mind unification.
Please stick to one spelling standard. If it's "taiji" then it's "qigong". Still, you are wrong.

Qigong = Energy work. Qigong are the Qi version of what pumping iron is for your muscles.

Taijiquan = Grand-nexus boxing. It's a chines Boxing style which includes a strong element of qigong.

Your mind is your Ye (intent).

Quote:
How some people can create the feeling of a "Chi Ball" between their hands or "transmit Ki" in Reiki, I don't exactly know. I wish I knew.
I can teach it to pretty mcuh anyone in an hour or two.

Quote:
Chi is not JUST a metaphysical force.
How is qi defined as "beyond physical"?

Henry South
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: all of the above

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: QI Reply with quote

ive been doing tai chi and qi gong for ... quite a while now. well longer than most people can be arsed to do it. and the one very important thing i have learnt is. a truly powerful person does not prove his power, but knows when not to use it. i think everyone should keep this in mind. as some of the most increadably focused and skilled martial artists will never be known purely because of there own humility.
and its spellt Qi trust me u can use it in scrabble.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, some of the founders of the various styles of Taiji (Chen for example) went around showing off.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Internal Arts and Philosophy All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17
Jump to: