Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

wagnerk
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Tang soo do and Shotokan Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
...According to a Tang soo do book online have, the art is 'uniquely Korean'. But when I ordered a book by Gichin Funakoshi, which was originally written much earlier than the Tang soo do book, I quickly realised they were pretty much one and the same...

I have to say that while there are alot of similarities, there are alot of differences as well... Yes TSD does have alot of it's roots in Shotokan karate (after all Gichin Funakoshi -> Lee Won Kuk -> Hwang Kee) added to that there are only so many ways to punch and kick, but there are differences as well... The use of hips, kicks, stances, movements are more circular, the and the forms (some forms have subtle changes, some are quite different) to name a few... (and of course the language)...

This is just my view based on studying both arts over the years...

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh!! I knew it!! I just began my Tang Soo Do journey, originally training in Shorin Ryu. My first thought was, oh, this is the same thing, just different.

Luckily, I’ve looked into Shotokan quite a bit while I was looking into all the different styles of Okinawan/Japanese karate. I very quickly saw that Tang Soo Do is far more similar to Shotokan than Shorin Ryu, regardless of the fact that both Shotokan and Tang Soo Do have pretty much stemmed from Shorin Ryu anyway. If that’s incorrect, someone please tell me!

As for cross training or not, TSD came from Shotokan - why not explore the roots? You’ll still be practicing your original art, just a little different and with different words/names. If it ends up being a positive experience, then now you have a deeper understanding of your style! If you end up hating it, then simply go back home to your original style

So happy I came across this post!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: