Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good points, Bob. Evident, clear, and discernable...with a purpose, for sure!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lee wrote:
pg. 10, paragraph 2: Eliminate "not clear" thinking and function from your root.

"Not clear" thinking. I think that's what I'd like to key on, and I'm interested to see what everyone else has to say on it. I guess it would be any thinking that would interfere with your current focus? One probably shouldn't be thinking about a date Friday night when practicing at class. Also, one probably shouldn't be thinking about a side kick while performing front kicks. Perhaps being in the moment, and not outside of it.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This speaks to me about Mizu No Kokoro (Mind Like Water) and Tsuki No Kokoro (Mind Like the Moon). These two concepts are a cornerstone of many MA beliefs through and through. To be focused one's mind must be calm and undisturbed in order that it can properly reflect, analyze, and effectively react according.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this thread and it looks intriguing, i will need to go catch up on the others.

I'd take the interpretation that bushido_man has for this one too, no use thinking about something irrelevant. i'd also say it is relevant to competition etc as you shouldn't be thinking about your upcoming (or already occurred) kata performance before fighting/sparring etc.

I'd also think it encompasses not getting too far ahead in your thinking. For example someone thinking : i will parry that strike, then step in with an elbow, then a footsweep, then a punch, then an armbar etc etc. Be clear in your thought and focus on the now. So in this example, protect yourself from the strike, then redirect all focus to the next part based on the current situation etc. So don't waste mental energy on something that might not come to pass

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. This is an awesome thread! Let me pull my copy out and work thru it. Good call Bushidoman!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see you guys jumping in, Alex and DarthPenguin! It's what I've been hoping for; lots of discussion on what we Martial Artists probably view as a treatise!

Bruce Lee wrote:
pg. 10, paragraph 3: Art is never decoration, embellishment; instead, it is work of enlightenment. Art, in other words, is a technique of acquiring liberty.

Art, how we do art, is our art. But, does it demonstrate our enlightenment, or does the act of creating art enlighten us further? Perhaps both can be true? And the second sentence seems pretty straightforward: creating art liberates us. It helps us grow, and become more free in the process. Free from restraint, free from all the rules at times, I guess?

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Great to see you guys jumping in, Alex and DarthPenguin! It's what I've been hoping for; lots of discussion on what we Martial Artists probably view as a treatise!

Bruce Lee wrote:
pg. 10, paragraph 3: Art is never decoration, embellishment; instead, it is work of enlightenment. Art, in other words, is a technique of acquiring liberty.

Art, how we do art, is our art. But, does it demonstrate our enlightenment, or does the act of creating art enlighten us further? Perhaps both can be true? And the second sentence seems pretty straightforward: creating art liberates us. It helps us grow, and become more free in the process. Free from restraint, free from all the rules at times, I guess?

Personally i would probably say a little of both. Creating art (in this context performing martial arts) can lead to enlightenment in the sense of "ah wait a minute i could do X now or ahhh i can see why we do Y now" equally it could lead to demonstrating it by other people seeing that you have picked up X or learned how to make Y useful.

I'm picturing one of those 'lightbulb moments' that people have intermittently.

Also, i should say that i have never read the book! Maybe i should!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly recommend reading the book, DP. However, it doesn't necessarily explain much more!

Bruce Lee wrote:
pg. 10, paragraph 4: Art calls for compete mastery of techniques, developed by reflection within the soul.

Physical mastery through internal reflection. But both physical and spiritual aspects are required.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally find that internal reflection / thought on techniques is exceptionally important. I try to think through what i have done / been doing both pre and post training sessions and evaluate it. Am also a strong believer in visualisation.

Empirically, i mentioned in my log that i identified i wasn't gripping actively enough as bjj and have started to rectify it. I came to this realisation on a train when i reached up and grabbed the luggage rack above me while sitting down to explain a point to my son - made me realise the difference between active and passive gripping.

For a martial artists development i personally feel that the ability to internally reflect on your technique is massively important and is a point along the path to improving your skills (meaning that as you improve you become capable of doing it)

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proof!! Everything that is Art requires proof and, in the MA, the proof is found on the floor. The floor has no mercy, and its judgement is harsh, Therefore, without proper reflection, there cannot be any mastery whatsoever.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: