Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Teacher (Sensei/Shinshii) Reply with quote

This is a two part question.

For the instructors here; What does this word mean to you? (No I am not asking for Wiki or the dictionary definition) I'm asking you what it means to be a Sensei.

For the students here; What does this word mean to you? What do you think it represents as a student and some day for you as an instructor.

What responsibilities does this word (title) carry with it? What are you responsibilities to your students, to the art, to your instructor and to yourself?

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not one is teaching, one never really ceases to be a student as long as such a relationship exists. This is important for attempting to give an answer to this question.

“Sensei” is not only someone with skills, knowledge and experience. It is someone who can get others to develop those qualities. It is someone who can recognize student’s strengths and weaknesses, but knows how to improve them. Most important of all it is someone who can be trusted to give honest and objective appreciation of progress in what is taught.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In TKD, we don't use the term sensei, and we don't really use any other Korean titles formally in class. I'm just called "mister" usually.

But, for me, being recognized as a teacher, means to me that I have a responsibility to the students. Its my job to bring them along as students, and do the best I can to help them understand TKD.

As a student (because I still am one), its looking to someone for some guidance in the things I may not quite understand yet, and helping to become the better me that they can make me. Its looking to someone who will tell me what I need to hear, and not what I might want to hear. Its someone who can hopefully help me find the answer that I might not be able to provide.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For the instructors here; What does this word mean to you? (No I am not asking for Wiki or the dictionary definition) I'm asking you what it means to be a Sensei.

When I first joined the SKKA Hombu many, many years ago, when I was only 7 years old, the word Sensei was mystical and carried that status of a God. I was marveled by what my Sensei could do quite flawlessly. I placed him on that pedestal because I was hypnotized; I was awed by him.

As I was learning Shindokan under his watchful eye, I started to see the man that I wanted to be; down right to the very essence, on and off the floor. His God status with me slowly ebbed away, not because he wasn't that God to me back when I was 7 years old, but because I was growing up in and out of the MA as that yearling MAist and human being.

After I grew up, both as a MAist and as a man, I cast away my foolish childish ways. Nonetheless, my Sensei hadn't earned my respect because he was that MA God, but because he wasn't that MA God. He was the man that I grew to love and respect across the board. He was honest with himself, and carried with him up to the day he passed away, that rarest of all things a Sensei can have...humbleness!!

Sensei, that word, Sensei...it isn't a title...it isn't a status...it isn't something that can be taught or learned...it isn't an idle word...it isn't an empty expression...it isn't fruitless...it isn't meant to be scoffed at...it isn't meaningless...it isn't past tense...it isn't bigger or greater than any student...NO...either you are or you aren't...humble in origin and a student of the MA themselves.

Quote:
What responsibilities does this word (title) carry with it?

The ability to increase the betterment of themselves first, then that of their students, second. The potter molds the clay; tears it down over and over. That potter gathers up those broken pieces of that student that he/she desires to mend, but not like a puzzle, but on the wheel he/she remolds it again and again and so on and so forth.

The responsibility is shared between both the student and the Sensei equally, and without any fanfare whatsoever. The potentiality of the student is discarded and weighed against what is produced over time; potential will get you hurt, but producing will benefit.

Quote:
What are you responsibilities to your students, to the art, to your instructor and to yourself?

To my students: Improve their MA betterment across the board unselfishly and consistently; to produce effectiveness.

To the art: To be that positive ambassador; not for just Shindokan Saitou-ryu, but for ALL Martial Arts, as well ALL Martial Artists.

To my instructor: To wear his badge of honor proudly!! To never disparage him and/or his legacy in any shape, way, and/or form!! To never ever forget him!!

I struggled with this one question because I wholeheartedly believe that words can't ever express just what he exactly means to me, now and forever. Yes, Yoshinobu Takahashi is my Sensei, but more important than that, he's my mostest bestest friend ever, and I love him with all of my heart, mind, and soul!! He was there for me when my own dad wasn't!!

To myself: To be honest with myself...to my family...to my students...to my Soke and Dai-Soke...to my fellow MAists...to my fellow woman, child, and man of all ages.

We, Sensei's of the MA, are always spouting off to our students..."Shut up and train!!" However, I believe that our students should respond to us in likewise manner..."Shut up and teach!!"

The proof is on the floor!!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Sensei, that word, Sensei...it isn't a title...it isn't a status...it isn't something that can be taught or learned...it isn't an idle word...it isn't an empty expression...it isn't fruitless...it isn't meant to be scoffed at...it isn't meaningless...it isn't past tense...it isn't bigger or greater than any student...NO...either you are or you aren't...humble in origin and a student of the MA themselves.

Much respect! Great definition and explanation Sensei8.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: