Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 9:58 am    Post subject: Teaching Children Reply with quote

Hey! I love the new forum! Anyway, my TKD school has a small problem - two of the instructors who teach children at my school - a black belt and a brown belt - are not going to be teaching in September (one is moving, the other going back to college). I have been helping out at my dojang as an assistant for about six months for free (tying belts, lining kids up, keeping order, holding sheilds for them to kick, etc.) My instructor just offered me a job which would make me like the youngest paid kids instructor (non black belt) ever at our school! I'm only 15, and a high red belt. I would just like some tips on keeping order when doing things such as running warmups, checking forms, etc. The problem is the age of the kids....they don't see me as a figure of authority. In fact, they would probably listen to a 30 year old white belt than to me, a 15 year old girl. At my first class the other day, it weas small and there were only about 6 kids, they made a joke out of calling me sir! How would you go about reprimanding these kids? With pushups? Or no game at the ned of class? Or telling one of the head instructors? Any help would be great!! Oh! I should tell you the age of the kids....the "Tiny Tots" is mostly 4 year olds, and the "Kids" is ages 5-10 usually, though as you move up into the more advanced classes, you see more 11, 12, 13 year olds.

Thanks for the tips!

Girls kick butt!

benedictbm
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They just have to get used to you. Our Leadership Team is made up of a lot of younger people (teenagers) and the new memebers have a hard time with the kids for a while but when they get used to you and let them have fun but not to far off the idea of that class then they should be a little more teachable. It is very easy to get frusterated but dont let it show. If they cant "suceed " in making you angry then they should stop (or at least it works with my lil sis)I hope me help is usefull. BYE

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try sitting them out at the sides for inapporpriate behaviour.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big thing is to be yourself. Do not get on a power trip. Relate to their problems with your own. Don't try and be a boss. Realize that older students will have trouble taking instruction for a teen. Be friendly and just be yourself.

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the hardest thing is to find a balance between being strick and being their friend.

Somehow I seem to have developed a trick - I talk to the class in a friendly manner, but when I want to get down to business I simply raise one of my right fingers (no, not in a rude manner)

It works, but I have absolutley no idea how it came into action.

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Or telling one of the head instructors?

I wouldn't ever tell my senior about a problem unless it was very very serious... THis shows that you are unprepared to handle the situations that can occur. Don't take any slack from the young kids cause they will never take you seriously...I find it is best to be strick with them at first and then once they get to know how you work a little better and realize that you are in charge you can joke around with them and have a good time. If a child is bad then I get them to stay behind after class (which doesn't make them too happy because all the buddies are going home.) and I give them a short lecture with a warning to start behaving.... If this continues to hapy I just skip the lecture and get them to do the appropriate amount of push ups. This is just how I work others may disagree

I AM CANADIAN

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone! I find that the classes I have the most trouble with are the one with kids closer to my rank...for the most part things are going pretty well; I'm a familiar face at the dojang anyway (kind of a "mat rat" ) and however much the kids may "push my buttons" I think they identify more with me than most other instructors.
Girls kick butt!

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't let the kids closer to your rank bother you... I am only 16 and I teach adult classes on occasion and they respect me because of my rank and seek my assistance even though most of them are twice my age If you don't make it an issue then it shouldn't be a problem. And if these are older kids don't give them the benefit of a warning, they give you a hard time or don't listen don't be afraid to give them push ups right there on the spot, That'll show them whos the boss

I AM CANADIAN

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good work,
i think when the fun of calling you sir wears off they will get down to busness and stop messing about. what kinda punishment do you have for them?

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teach how you teach but remember you can still make class enjoyable for them while instilling some discipline. I see a lot of school that have no discipline and it makes me so angry.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: