Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Thin White Duke
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gojupralgo wrote:
We will not accept any children under 6 years of age. They just don't have a real understanding of what MA is all about. They don't have the attention span, need to know their left from right etc....

Gotta agree with that, I've been teaching kids now for 15 years and 6 is when I let my own kid's start training.

It amazes me how many phone calls I get from parents who want their 3 or 4 year old to start training, I think they're just looking for a cheap babysitter.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a special program for kids 4-6 that is designed to be an introduction to the martial arts only. It focuses on developing the skills they need to be able to learn when they are old enough to enter regular classes. Body awareness, coordination, inceases in attention span, fitness...and fun, all have an impact on their lives that they may not get anywhere else. The bonus is the few kids that excel and have the potential to become dedicated martial artists and receive the gifts that martial arts have to offer them, thus enriching their lives even further. I enjoy being a part of that.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

shogeri
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Instructor in Internal, External, Mixed Styles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the article. It was well written, and brought out some important points to remember when teaching or learning along children.

---------------------------------
Children go through certain known or accepted levels of development.

Sensory Motor Period
(0 - 24 months)

The Preoperational Period
(2-7 years)

Period of Concrete Operations
(7-11 years)

Period of Formal Operations
(11-15 years)

------------------

Basically, what this means is that children are not capable of reasoning as an adult, until they reach the age of 15 or so. That summary is based upon information from the work of Jean Piaget.

At ages 4 through 7 children have the physical independence, dexterity, and language skills to aid their curiosity in many ways.

This means that they are capable of duplicating what you are teaching them, and will be able to go through the motions.

This has its advantages. It helps to create a foundation of reflexive behavior.

From the age of 7 through 15, one teaches the child of the logical, and social ramifications of what they are learning as they progress cognitively and emotionally. Training becomes even more methodic and focused. Techniques for learning are expanded upon, and the child is given the opportunity to truly broaden what they already know reflexively.

------------------------

Just some thoughts from me...

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

gojupralgo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goku-Kai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you end up with is a 4- 6 year old that can duplicate the movements, and is now smacking other kids and their parents.

Kill Jill
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TaeKwonDo, HapKiDo, The Funky Chicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm here in Korea, where kids attend classes 5 days a week for typically a coupld of years (then, they never do TKD again, except in the army service!).
Because 5 days is quite intensive in any study program, instructors here typically convert one class of the week into a totally non MA class. They will either play soccer, pi-gu (dodgeball) - good for arm strength, or do relay races for the entire lesson. It seems there is more of a P.E. type of activity feel here in the classes, with the attitude that kids can't really understand the idea of becoming a professional adult competitor. They learn the basic skills, and then if the kid remains interested in the sport throughout their teenage years, they will take a diploma course in it at university, where they can only then have the chance to prepare for competitions.
Instructors here also run periodical social events such as a camp or outdoor barbeque - the kids seem to be drawn to such an idea of being 'in the club' rather than being a martial artist.
There's no point in burning out any kid too early.

shogeri
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What you end up with is a 4- 6 year old that can duplicate the movements, and is now smacking other kids and their parents."

To some extent this is true. But it doesn't have to be what happens.

I would say that if they can duplicate the moves, then that's okay. So just show them forms (or a form, such as Taijiquan short form or parts of it) at first.

At the very least they are being slightly aerobic.

No need to be Martial until 6 or 7, and even then do so sparingly.

This would just be an activity at this time, for certainly more important things such as socialization, religion, or academics, or art, or family time are more important.

Just some more thoughts...

gojupralgo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goku-Kai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At under than 6 years of age, I'd send them to gymnastics or something similar.

shogeri
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just as good too...

However drills to teach sensitivity and to encourage a balance in their body wouldn't hurt either...

Tef
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo, Wu-Tang Sword, Muay Thai, Kechwa MA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At our dojo, there is a program for kids young as 3-5. But it is more or a Martial arts games class, they aren't expected to even remember a basic kick set. As the writer of this article said, we do have advanced students training at the same time, so the kids can see that they can acheive that level of skill and discipline.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: