Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SloMo
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Teaching Kids Reply with quote

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

More and more children are starting martial arts. This is great in promoting the art and parents like the discipline and respect that their children learn. However, teaching martial arts to children is not like teaching adults, as any instructor who has done both will tell you!

You are not teaching tiny adults!!!

I cannot stress this one enough. Repeat it to yourself whenever you get frustrated. You are teaching kids. Their motivations for coming to class are not the same as an adult. I have broken down the reasons into three categories. I know that there are other reasons but these seem to be the major one's that I see most often.

The "How Hard Can it be?" Group:
I saw a Jackie Chan (or Jet Li) movie and I want to learn to do that!

Okay, these kids quickly learn that it's going to take hard work and years to learn. The trick with them is to show them what they will attain. Have some of your advanced students show off a little to them. Let them see what they will really learn. Either you will hook them right off or they will decide that it isn't what they want. The sooner you do it the better!

The "My Parents Are Making Me do This" Group:
My child is hyper, inattentive, disrespectful, doing bad in school, etc... fix them!

Here you have a double problem, an unmotivated student and parents who expect miracles. First, get the student hooked. Don't talk or focus on the problems the kid may be having. Instead, talk to them like their parents are not even there. Ask them what they might want to get out of coming to class. Show them how much you love the art and they will start to think that this could be a good thing. Show them what they will learn and make sure that they leave that first class having learned something. Teach them a kick, a block, a stance, something that will allow them to feel like they accomplished something.

Now you need to manage the parent's expectations. If you have any good parents (they are worth their weight in gold) have them talk to the prospective student's parents. They will regale them with talks about how great their kid is doing and how much they love it, etc. You also need to spend some time with the parents yourself. Find out what they expect and help them understand that it's not a quick fix. Talk to them about some of your other students and the ways they have improved. You might turn them into another one of your great parents!

The "My Best Friend is Doing it and I Want to Try it" Group:
Joe/Jane talks about this place all the time. I want to see what's up!

You almost feel you can't lose with a new student like this. They have a general idea of what goes on. They have a friend already in class. What could go wrong?

Lots!

Competition between friends – sometimes the new student will compare themselves with their friend. This can lead to the person getting discouraged. You need to teach that student that they have an identity in the class other than "friend of Joe". You'll know that you succeeded in this when they show up for class even when the friend that got them into class doesn't. I try to have them do the warm ups next to their friend to help them get over that initial nervousness but then I separate them for the rest of class. That way, they each leave that first class with a different experience that they can share with each other.

Friend does better than the student that brought him to class – this happens more often than I thought it would. Here you need to focus on your original student. We all have to deal with students getting passed by other students but it is different when it's a friend that you brought to class that is doing it! It's not an easy one to handle but you need to boost the original student's morale more often so they don't feel like they are a loser.

I know that I'm just touching on some much larger issues, but hopefully this helps some of you.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the submission.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

jnpnshr411
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan, jujitsu, Alpha Blocks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen competition between friends to be great. Usually it drives the students to work harder to get ahead.

Menjo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnpnshr411 wrote:
I have seen competition between friends to be great. Usually it drives the students to work harder to get ahead.

Or they might get in fights but yea thats usually true

A. Orstrom
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushinkai Karate, Nishio-ryu Aikido, Genseiryu, Shorin-ryu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This applies to adults as well.

Ben Martin
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice read, thanks

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

Lasz
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kyokushinkai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deal with the kids' group sometimes, it can get really frustrating, good read, thanks

jkeeling
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small sample from an article I wrote 4 years ago about teaching different general types of students:

Children

Children generally have shorter attention spans than adults and this is more obvious the younger the student is. If possible, children's classes should be broken down into different age groups. Sometimes, boys and girls should be separated as well. Generally speaking, children under the age of about 13 are usually not mentally or emotionally mature enough (although they may be sufficiently physically mature) to join an adult class. Teachers of children must be able to tolerate less structure to the class at times, as younger students (particularly boys) may have a tendency to be disruptive. Mixing in physical games (including running or jumping) with their regular martial arts training may be a good idea, especially for the younger ones. Classes for younger children often have to be shorter, as these students cannot retain as much information and the instructors get tired faster while dealing with the potential for disruption and wandering attention of their students. Corrections should usually be more general than for adults, working on improvements in stages, over a longer period of time.
www.shotomag.com
www.tokaidojapan.com

Why_Worry
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i kidna wish i had a friend in one of my classes that i could kidna be liek a friendly rival with and we could liek train together or jsut work to become betters. I knwo i shouldnt need a motivation to train, but it would help to have a motivation. I should be motivated enough as it is, but still, we all could be a little bit more motivated. (But yeah, if they kids are rather 'stuck up', it could result in the two people being mean to each other)

gojupralgo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goku-Kai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will not accept any children under 6 years of age. They just don't have a real understanding of what MA is all about. They don't have the attention span, need to know their left from right etc....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: